May 4

‘The Secret Life of Maeve Lee Kwong’ by Kirsty Murray

maeve lee kwongI really liked this book because it was very realistic and I could relate to the book. The main character, Maeve, is a very strong person, she has had some hard times in her life but she is still happy. She is a loving person towards her family and friends and is a great person to count on. The book is a great book I would give it a high rating and I would definitely recommend this book to ages 10+. Amber, Year 8

‘The Secret Life of Maeve Lee Kwong’ takes you into the world of a teenage girl whose world comes crashing down when tragedy strikes. Maeve’s family and friends try to comfort her but the only thing on Maeve’s mind is her Irish dad who doesn’t even know she exists. Determined Maeve sets out to find her dad. I think this book is perfect for young girls or boys who are in the mood for something heartfelt.  Chantelle, Year 8

Beginning this book had me confused in some key areas, one being that I wasn’t sure which characters were which. The second reason is I wasn’t quite sure what the problem was and lastly I didn’t know what was generally happening. Once I read about a quarter into the book it all cleared up. I understood what was going on and who was who. Maeve, the main character of the book, seems like a really sweet girl who has some very kind and supportive best friends. Maeve has never met her dad and when disaster strikes she feels she needs to fill that part of her which is missing.  Alisha, Year 8

Even though I have only read up to Chapter 17, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading the book ‘ The Secret Life of Maeve Lee Kwong.’  I think Maeve is a very interesting character. The way she pushes people way and brings others even closer really drew me in. So many times throughout the book, tears streamed down my cheeks. I would definitely recommend this book to both boys and girls but I do think that girls in particular would probably get more out of the book. In order to read the book and enjoy it, you must be able to like sad stories and stories that make you stop and think about all the good things you have in your life. All in all, this has been a really good book to read. Alana, Year 8

Kirsty Murray1Kirsty Murray comments:

Great comments, Amber, Chantelle, Alisha and Alana. It’s always exciting to hear about the things a reader finds in one of my books. I’m really touched that you were moved by Maeve’s story. Lots of what happened to her is based on what happened to real people that I have known. It took a long time to write her story because it’s the last book in the series ‘Children of the Wind’. By the time I’d finished writing the novel, I felt as though Maeve was a real person that had become very special to me. I’m glad she’s found you guys out there in the world to appreciate her story. Kirsty Murray http://www.kirstymurray.com/

Tags: , , , ,

Posted May 4, 2010 by marjk in category Author comments, Realistic fiction, Student Reviews

2 thoughts on “‘The Secret Life of Maeve Lee Kwong’ by Kirsty Murray

1. Kirsty Murray

Great comments, Amber, Chantelle, Alisha and Alana. It’s always exciting to hear about the things a reader finds in one of my books. I’m really touched that you were moved by Maeve’s story. Lots of what happened to her is based on what happened to real people that I have known. It took a long time to write her story because it’s the last book in the series ‘Children of the Wind’. By the time I’d finished writing the novel, I felt as though Maeve was a real person that had become very special to me. I’m glad she’s found you guys out there in the world to appreciate her story.

2. anonymous

how did this book end? were mae and her father reunited? aah! and what person was it written for and other facts about how it was written?! HELP!