May 5

‘Crispin: the cross of lead’ by Avi

Crispin_and_the_Cross_of_LeadThe book I am reading is ‘Crispin’, but I am not sure I like it because it is a slow moving book that is set in the medieval times. The author has tried to use some middle age terms that are hard to understand and it sounds like we are in the 1300s. The reason I picked up the book is because the blurb sounds good. I am going to read the rest of the book because it is my literature circles book. As much as I don’t like this book my favourite part is where Crispin is on a high rock that looks over the village and the people are plotting against him. I am hope the book gets better as I am only up to a quarter of the way through the book. Fingers crossed. This book would best suit someone who likes reading about medieval times. Sam, Year 8 http://www.avi-writer.com/

The beginning of ‘Crispin’ is somewhat slow, yet stunning. The story is set sometime in the Middle Ages. Crispin is the narrator, and he tends to tell the story slowly, but he explains it in a lot of detail. You can see into all of his thoughts and emotions, and that makes it a little more interesting to read. I’d recommend this for older kids, because younger children will become a little reckless with the slow beginning. Oh, and I forgot to mention, there are some forms of action in this book, and that makes it really exciting to read. I’ve read a little more than a quarter of this book, and I’m enjoying it. It gets better the more you get into it, which can be a bad thing, because some people will put the book down before good parts come in. Overall, it’s a pretty decent book. James, Year 8

Crispin is the main character of the book. He has a very disturbed childhood and has a problem right at the start – he loses his mother. At the start of the book, Crispin gets accused of a crime he didn’t commit. As a result of this he gets the title of “A wolf’s Head”, which means he isn’t human. John Aycliff, the villain of this book, accused Crispin of this crime, and he has hated Crispin since the start. The start of this book is slow but the further I got into it, the more interesting it became. The start of the book is very gloomy and makes you feels sad. This book is about Crispin trying to discover his father, find out everything his mother had never told her about herself, his father and even himself, but this is hard due to the fact that his mother is dead. This book is about Crispin trying to discover his very own identity. Crispin is very confused and angry at the start. Crispin has no friends, and can only trust the village priest. This book is a great book for anyone who likes medieval times and likes action. This book will leave you on the edge of your seat for every second. By Daniel Yr 8

This book, ‘Crispin’, is about a boy of the age of thirteen who has a very unfortunate life. His mother has just died and the acting king of his city has framed him for stealing and put a bounty on his head. He is forced to go into hiding and on his travels, he finds a travelling entertainer who takes him in to be his apprentice. The author, Avi, has written this book very well and has used very nice words; it feels like I’m actually there when I’m reading this book. I enjoy this book because it has a lot of suspense and all of the characters are very mysterious, theses are the kind of books that I like to read. Sterling, Year 8

‘Crispin’ is a book with action, adventure and drama. I dislike this book because it doesn’t make much sense in the beginning. When Crispin was running away from Aycliff and the stranger I had a image in my mind of Crispin running away from them, but in the beginning I couldn’t  imagine Crispin there at the cemetery when his mum died. This book’s interest is like a bouncy ball. It bounces high and falls back down again. If I had to rate this book I would rate it a four out of ten. I would recommend this book for people between 12 and 15. I wouldn’t recommend it to people who are having a bad time because this book is quite sad. Josh, Year 8

Tags: , ,

Posted May 5, 2010 by marjk in category Adventure stories, Historical fiction, Student Reviews