May 16

‘Blackwater’ by Eve Bunting

blackwaterI read the book ‘Blackwater’ by Eve Bunting. The book was about two boys called Brodie and Alex and Brodie accidentally kills two people called Pauline Genero and Otis McCandlless. The reason it happened is because Pauline is Brodie’s girlfriend and he sees them kissing and hugging Otis. He feels jealous and angry so he tries to scare them but they fall into the water and are swept into the Blackwater. They drown, so he feels guilty and doesn’t tell the truth and the guilt gets too much for him. I rate the book an 8 out of 10  and I recommend it to people who like drama. Lachlan, Year 8

I have almost finished the book and I have really enjoyed it. Whenever you finish a chapter and you think that the characters have overcome that obstacle then another one crops up and it keeps you interested in the book. The book is based on feelings as a boy causes deaths because he is jealous. Then, when they are dead, he doesn’t tell and the guilt mounts up inside him.  I think that if you choose to read this book you won’t be disappointed. By George, Year 8  http://www.kidsreads.com/authors/au-bunting-eve.asp

Tags: ,

Posted May 16, 2010 by marjk in category Mystery, Realistic fiction, Student Reviews