May 16

‘Hitler’s Daughter’ by Jackie French

hitler's daughterIn less then two days I read ‘Hitler’s daughter’. It is a gripping book that I couldn’t put down. It has a great mixture of history and fiction that made it a compelling read. At first I thought, “This won’t be a good book, it will be boring,” but as soon as I turned the first page I couldn’t put it down. It is a story about four schoolkids – Anna, Mark, Ben and Little Tracy – who tell a story as they wait for the bus to take them to school each morning. Anna is the one who tells most of the story but the others pitch in and help. She tells about a girl named Heidi in WWII who has something very interesting about her. She’s Hitlers daughter. I rate this book 4/5. Rachael, Year 8

‘Hitler’s Daughter’ is about a boy named Mark who is very adventurous. The book is a good mystery if you like ‘The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas’. It is the first few sentences that made me love this book: “It was raining the day that Mark first heard about Hitler’s daughter. The cows in Harrison’s paddock were wet and brown and mournful. Raindrops dripped down their noses as they huddled their backs to the wind.” This book is about Hitler’s daughter called Heidi. Heidi was a young girl with brown hair and tanned skin. She had a big scar down her face therefore her dad did not love her. Hitler wanted to only breed one race. The people had to be tall and with blonde hair and blue eyes. Jessica, Year 8 
I’m not a big fan of reading, but this book really got my attention. It is a heartfelt book and it made me realize how lucky I am to have both love from my parents and real care from them. Heidi (Hitler’s daughter) lived in a large house like a castle that her father put her in. He did not live with her but it seemed like he loved her. He tried to give her food she loved to make her happy, but the truth is we’re not truly happy if we don’t have the love and real care from both our mother and father. In this story everyone knew that Hitler was a monster and he could never love anyone besides Heidi, but when you look at it, Hitler didn’t want Heidi to know about all the terrible things that he did, so Heidi was not allowed to leave the house and was not allowed to read the newspaper. If he did this, then he must have love for her because he obviously wanted to protect her and didn’t want to lose her if she found out. When I was reading this book the question that constantly went through my mind was, ‘If Hitler cared for his daughter, why didn’t he live with her not just visit her on special events?’ Besides all that, I think this book is a 4 out 5 and it is a real heartfelt book that caught my attention. Tiana, Year 8  http://www.jackiefrench.com/

Tags: , ,

Posted May 16, 2010 by marjk in category Mystery, Realistic fiction, Student Reviews