May 25

‘Spilled Water’ by Sally Grindley

Spilled waterThis book is really interesting, so far.  The main character is Lu Si-yan, a young 13-year-old girl with her mother and her father, with a baby boy on the way, but tragedy happened when Lu Si-yan’s Father was killed just after the baby boy Lu Li-Hu was born. Then one day her Uncle Ba steps in to be their father but the family cannot get the money to survive, so Uncle Ba has an idea to get money but he does not tell anyone but Lu Si-yan’s mother. One day Uncle Ba Takes Lu Si-yan on the bus and transports Lu Si-yan and Uncle Ba to the markets so he can sell her for money and for her family, I recommend this book to Year 7 up to adult. I will give this book 10/10 because it is a great book to read.

By: Rachel, Year 8

‘Lu Si-Yan, it’s going to be a big day for you. From today, you must learn to find your own way in the muddy whirlpool of life. Your mother has given you a good start. Now it’s your turn’.

This was the most frighting day of Lu Si-Yan’s life, a day when everything changed, a day when she had to learn to defend herself, and a day when she found out what it’s really like to be born as a Chinese girl. From her little old country home to smog-wrapped tower blocks and factories of the big city, she would have to spend her life as a servant but she refuses to, as she wants to be at home with her family. Lu Si-Yan was only 10 when she was sent off to the markets to be bought. She was a very brave girl, but of course she had no idea what was going on. Lu Si-Yan was my favourite character in the story. She was very loving, caring and mature, which I loved her for. This was one of the best books I have ever read because it sounded just like a true story. I recommend this book to girls over the age of 13 because of the maturity and the story that it tells. Yes it is an easy read but a wonderful story. This book will be in your top 10 books. Jessica Grade 8

‘Today is a big day for you. From today, you must learn your own way in the muddy whirlpool of life’.

The main character in this story is a 13 year-old girl whose name is Lu Si-yanS she lives in China with her mother and her baby brother. Her father died when her baby brother, Lu Li-Hu, was born.  And so acting as Lu Si-Yan’s father is her uncle, Uncle Ba. But, then one day Uncle Ba took Lu on a long bus trip to a big market where there were little girls her age following a man around.  The adventure continues with Lu Si-Yan’s life. I recommend this book to girls aged 13-16.  So far I give this book 8/10 because it is making me want to read more and more of the book. By Emily, Year 8

This book is quite interesting.  The main character is Lu Si-yan, an average 13-year-old girl. One day her father died, just not long after her baby brother was born. Her Uncle comes to help out but her family do not and cannot get enough money to survive, so Lu Si-yan’s Uncle has an idea to get money but he does not tell anyone but Lu Si-yan’s mother. One day Uncle Ba takes Lu Si-yan to the markets so he can sell her for money and for her family. This book is good for 12 years and older. Nadine, Year 8

Tags: , , ,

Posted May 25, 2011 by marjk in category Realistic fiction, Student Reviews

3 thoughts on “‘Spilled Water’ by Sally Grindley

1. Harriet

I’m doing a book report for school on Spilled Water
    Could somebody please remind me; what are the girls’ names who are in the factory? I can only remember Shen Enquing and the really nice girl’s name is…? Also what are the two mean girl’s name…?
    Thank you!

2. marjk (Post author)

The role of this website is to post students’ book reviews, rather than to do your homework. Why don’t you go back and look for the names of the characters in the novel?