September 4

‘A Straight Line to my Heart’ by Bill Condon

Tiff has had a hard start in life, but along the line she got lucky. Taken in by Reggie, a family friend, she joins the household, which is completed by Bull (Reggie’s stepson) and their gorgeous dog Wolfie. Theirs is a family of choice, their love displayed by comfortable silence, affectionate hugs and teasing banter. At its heart there’s something very special – an ever present compassion and the strong knowledge that imperfect people can love perfectly.

Tiff’s coming of age story, her first hesitant work experience placement as a cadet journalist at the local paper, her even more hesitant first kiss, is carefully and lovingly portrayed by Condon with wry humour and authentic dialogue. Even when catastrophe strikes, it’s not dwelt upon; it’s just another darker brushstroke on the canvas of Tiff’s life. We silently cheer our battling heroine on and know that she will come through for us because of the groundswell of love behind her.

This novel has much in common with Metzenthen’s ‘Jarvis 24’. It’s a quiet ‘sitter’ of a novel which might be underestimated by some. For me, though, the picture of Tiff remained long after I put the book down – the measure of a great book. I’d like to meet Tiff again. 4 1/2 stars

“There’s nothing quite as good as folding up into a book and shutting the world outside. If I pick the right one I can be beautiful, or fall in love, or live happily ever after. Maybe even all three.” (p.1)

Tags: ,

Posted September 4, 2011 by marjk in category Realistic fiction, Teacher Reviews