October 21

‘The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod: Eighth Grade Bites’ by Heather Brewer

Dear Readers,

I liked this book. It kept me entertained for hours. It is recommended for teenagers and was set at school and Vladimir’s Aunt’s house. The book’s title is ‘The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod’, which was written by Heather Brewer. Vladimir likes eating blood bags.  Aunt Nelly likes working at the hospital and bringing blood bags home for Vladimir Tod. I liked the book very much and my favourite character is Vladimir Tod because he is a vampire and I like vampires.        Jasmine, Year 9   

“Sometimes you have to be alone to think, and sometimes the best place for thinking isn’t home.”

This story takes place in Vladimir’s aunt Kelly’s house and the school that Vladimir attends. He is a vampire who went to live with his Aunt Kelly after his parents were killed by a pure blood vampire. Vladimir is just trying to get through life with the help of his best friend Henry, a normal human being. A pure blood vampire is trying to kill Vladimir for his blood. Vladimir’s Aunty Kelly works in a hospital and brings home blood bags for Vladimir. I like this story because it is a horror story and I like horror stories. It really entertained me. I recommend this story to my friends because I reckon they are missing out on a really great story.

Hannah, Year 9

————————————————————————————————————————-

“ Morning, sunshine”

Vlad blinked at her. “Morning, sulfuric acid”

“Pardon me?”

“Well isn’t it kinda wrong to call a vampire ‘sunshine’?”

Junior High is not a fun place for thirteen-year-old Vladimir Tod. Bullies harass him, the principal picks on him, and the girl he likes prefers his best friend. Oh, and Vlad has a secret: his mother was human, but his father was a vampire. With no idea of the extent of his powers, Vlad struggles daily with his blood cravings and his enlarged fangs. When a substitute teacher begins to question him a little too closely, Vlad worries that his cover is about to be blown. But then he faces a much bigger problem: he’s being hunted by a vampire killer!

Vlad was orphaned three years previously and he lives with his late mother’s best friend Nelly, a nurse, in the quiet town of Bathory. He’s the target of bullies, embarrasses himself in front of the girl he likes and now his favourite teacher has gone missing….Oh, and he’s half vampire, and his strange new substitute teacher possibly knows his secret…

Until recently Vlad thought he was the only vampire left until a recent string of disappearances makes him realise that not only is he not alone, but someone’s after him. Vlad is also only just discovering his abilities, since his vampire father died before he could share his knowledge. But Vlad is on his own as he comes to understand just what he can do as well as the fact that among his kind, being a half vampire is not just unique, but unheard of.

Vlad himself is a good character and besides the vampire aspect he’s a typical thirteen year old boy. He’s got his best friend Henry, he’s shy around girls and he isn’t the biggest fan of school.

I like this book because I could relate to the things that happen to Vlad in terms of being bullied at school and not enjoying school. I would recommend this story to anyone who likes vampire novels and reading about characters who have everyday problems like we do.

By Noah Year 9.

Vladimir Todd, a young vampire teenage boy and the child of a vampire father and human mother, lives at home with his aunt Nelly. Aunt Nelly and Vlad’s best friend Henry are the two main important people in his life. However there is a vampire killer out to get Vladimir Todd or even someone close to him. What will happen? I love reading this book because it keeps me engaged as I read every page, and every chapter.  I really like Vladimir Todd. He isn’t like any of the others at school, he is vampire. Does anyone else know that Vlad is a vampire or is he hiding it?  How will Vladimir Todd be able to control his cravings for blood? I highly recommend this book to teenagers and above.

Samantha, Year 9

Tags: ,

Posted October 21, 2011 by marjk in category Student Reviews, Uncategorized