October 24

‘Son of the Mob’ by Gordon Korman

“Son of the Mob”, written by Gordon Korman, is an hilarious book that gets you hooked on the first page.

“ When Vince opened the trunk of the car to get the picnic blanket, he see Jimmy ‘the rat’ unconscious and wrapped up in the blanket.”

Vince Luca was born into the mob but has never taken an interest in business, but as the story goes on the business keeps on finding him and he hates it and to top it off his Dad (the Boss) is on his back pressuring Vince to join so that when Abe (Dad) is finished the business can stay in the family.

For me this is a great book that I am really enjoying that I would recommend for a 14 year old and someone that likes light comedy with a bit of action. I give this book 9/10. This is a great book that all should read.

Sam, Year 9

FBI agents may be watching the house, but Vince Luca is still just an ordinary high school boy. He and his close friend Alex are trying to score every girl they see. Vince’s brother is very annoying and his father is also very demanding at trying to get him to do things and to be motivated. There is one thing keeping him from having a normal life and this is that his father is the leader of a powerful crime organisation. Because of this Vince’s family can be very handy for particular things, like his teachers are scared to give him bad grades. Vince likes a girl but he doesn’t know how he is meant to explain to her what his father does and how their family operates. But when the moment comes and he finds a girl, he doesn’t know that his family will be the biggest problem of all because her father is the FBI agent wanting to lock his father away.

In my personal opinion I think that this book is more suited to all ages but particularly teenagers. This is because I have heard reviews and people as adults themselves have said they enjoyed it too. The book is great and has you on the edge a lot. Rachel, Year 9

Vince Luca is just regular high school boy. He has the usual problems like any other teenager, just like his best friend Alex who keeps trying to beat him in everything, and his father, who tells him he must be very serious in life. But there is only one little difference between himself and other kids; his father is the head of a huge mob organization. There are many positives to this relationship, however. For example, if Vince ever gets poor grades, his teachers will automatically change his marks, thinking that his father will kill them otherwise. But Vince is thinking about his future. How will new people he meets react to his family? Would he ever be offered a job anywhere? Would he have to carry on his father’s business after completing high school? And the biggest question of all is how will Vince explain to his girlfriend what his father does for a living?

Vince’s luck improves when he finally thinks he has found someone. But instead of his dad being the problem in their love life, the girl’s dad seems to be the problem. The difficulty is that her father is an FBI agent, who is working day and night to put Vince’s father in jail! From here, the book shows the son of the mob’s struggle in his social life, and how he tries to overcome all obstacles. The book is very good with lots of action around the corner. I recommend it to older audiences with some of the things in it like a blood soaked person in the boot of Vince’s car. About 13+ is the age I would recommend it to, but other than that it is a really good book to read. Kaide, Year 9

At a young age, Vince Deluca knew his family wasn’t normal. With regular appearances from the police in his house and his dad’s constant referral to the  ‘Agents’, Vince caught on pretty fast that life wasn’t ordinary. It was the life for the son of a mob.

Now aged 17, Vince wanted to get on with his life. But with only one friend, a controlling father and his business trying to take over it, he was finding that pretty hard. Until Kendra came along. Kendra was everything Vince could have hoped for and better; beautiful, smart and actually willing to put up with him. Then he found out that Kendra’s father was an FBI agent trying to put his father in jail.

I would recommend this book for ages 13 to 16. I believe both genders will enjoy it, but preferably boys. It is a quick and easy read, that relates to their daily lives, with drama added to it. I would rate it a 7 out of 10 because it is a book you can relate to, with a great writing style, although it could do with some touch-ups.

Holly, Year 9

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to be the son of a criminal? Vince Luca is and he hates it! Born into the criminal side of the world, Vince just wants to live a normal love life without his dad’s business involved. But when he starts dating the daughter of an FBI agent, whose life long ambition is to have Vince’s dad behind bars; things start to speed off track.

This novel is for an adolescent age group, predominantly male, because it deals with moral decisions and problems teenagers go through in today’s society. This very entertaining and humorous novel moves along very quickly and keeps the reader guessing.

Lauren, Year 9

Tags: , , ,

Posted October 24, 2011 by marjk in category Adventure stories, Crime fiction, Funny books, Student Reviews