November 21

‘Solace of the Road’ by Siobhan Dowd

‘Solace of the road’ is a fairly interesting book written by Siobhan Dowd. I think that it is a type of book which fits in the category family issues and abuse.

I found that the main character of the book, Holly Hogan, is a very risky 14-year-old girl who lives in a foster care. But there are hints that Holly has been trouble in the past. The setting of the story I think does set up a bit of interest to the book to some people. The characters in the book definitely relate to what many people go through in real life, just like there are many foster carers everywhere in the world. The character that stood out the most to me in ‘Solace of the road’ was definitely Holly Hogan.

At the beginning of the story, Holly Hogan is at the foster care place and she soon finds our that her favorite worker at foster care “Miko” is leaving and that is what left Holly really upset. Holly soon then finds foster parents, whom she hated. After a while she ran away taking her foster mum’s blonde wig and changed into a complete different person trying to set a goal of finding her real mother. Along the way Holly met some people who try to help Holly find her mother but on the way many things do happen and that’s when it starts to get interesting.

I did enjoy the book although I did find that in some parts it was boring. I would recommend this book to teenagers and maybe some adults who are interested in books that have a story based on family issues and abuse. I would definitely rate ‘Solace of the road’ about 3 out of 5. Serena, Year 9

Are you keen for an adventurous road trip? If so, ‘Solace of the Road’ is the book for you! This novel takes adventurous to a whole new level. With exciting and nerve racking experiences along the way. Holly’s story will leave a lasting impression on all who travel with her.

The foster parents of Holly Hogan aren’t as true to Holly as they should be. They seem to always comfort her with a fake approach and always talk lies. For example “everything will be okay” but no, not everything is not okay, Holly is lost without the influence and comfort of her real mother. She’s consistently thinking why, how, when.. Every day these questions are being asked. Being fed up with a life full of lies, she follows her heart and sets on a journey to find her real mother in Ireland. This young 14 year old has within an instant skipped a few years in maturity, and off she goes.

I liked this novel because it is about a story of a young teen girl who is drowning herself with questions about why her family isn’t there with her. I mean aren’t they are the people who are supposed to support you, be there for you, look after you, help you through rough times because it sure is hard growing up? You are only learning about the real world and how people can be, you get heart broken, people come and go throughout your life and sometimes there are a few who mark you as they pass through, whether it is in a good way or bad. Yeah sure we do have friends, and for Holly she does have a foster family, but real family is what a kid really does need to grow up properly. As the quote says “Blood is thicker than Water”.

I recommend this novel to teens who are going through similar situations to Holly, but also to people who have a soft spot for children who grow up without their real parents. Really it’s a story for anyone who enjoys an adventurous life story of a young teen. It really is a great read.

Rating: 4 out of 5. Ebony, year 9

Holly Hogan is a fourteen-year-old girl who yearns to have a mother by her side. She has run away from foster families and foster homes numerous times to find her birth mother. She feels as though everybody is against her and her real friends and family seem non-existent. After her favourite worker at foster care, ‘Miko’, leaves her, she finds courage deep inside her and makes a choice that will ultimately change her journey forever. With her blonde wig and an attitude of toughness, Holly Hogan now becomes ‘Solace’, a smooth walking, and sharp talking glamour girl. ‘Solace’ will search to the end of the earth to find her birth mother, some answers and some closure. Interestingly enough, she finds herself along the way too.

I found the book, ‘Solace of the Road’ an interesting and close to the heart novel. It shows a young girl who feels unwanted and isolated going through a situation with many unexpected events along the way. It is a very different situation than most teenagers will go through but this makes the book more engaging. I found the book a little difficult to follow, but after re-reading a few main pages, this book has grown on me. I feel everyone could relate to Holly Hogan’s feelings and decisions, a very enthralling read.

I think more mature readers and young adults or anyone who takes an interest in family, child or issues at home would benefit the most out of reading ‘Solace of the Road’. I give the book 3½/5 stars.

Amber, Year 9

Tags: ,

Posted November 21, 2011 by marjk in category Realistic fiction, Student Reviews