May 1

‘Dragon Keeper’ by Carole Wilkinson

I’m not the person who will just read any book I get given as I am a very fussy reader but Dragon Keeper is one of the very first books that I have read even though I didn’t select it out myself.

This book is targeted at young teenage girls who enjoy fantasy books such as ‘Harry Potter’. The reason this is suitable is because it gives us fantastic life lessons such as putting others first as well as being interesting. Honestly I would not recommend this book to impatient readers as at times the story can be slow but when the action is happening the novel does become very thrill seeking. This book follows a girl who, as an everyday job must feed dragons and, when one saves her life she runs away with it on an amazing journey to the sea and along the way must keep safe a mystical dragon rock.

To summarise the book I have to say that the author Carole Wilkinson is very imaginative and that this is a wonderful book about facing fears, a miraculous journey and friendship. Simone, Year 8

————————————————————————————-

I love books, so I will read anything I am given, but The Dragon Keeper is definitely one of my top five. The Dragon Keeper is an exciting and adventurous book. I loved every single moment of reading it and I was so keen to turn the page to find out what happened next.

This book would be most enjoyed by ages 12 and up and for all those who read books like Harry Potter. This book has also received awards including the QLD Premier Literary Award for 2004 and has had positive comments from the Herald Sun and Gary Crew.

To summarise this book Carole Wilkinson is a very enthusiastic and imaginative writer and this book will “enchant every reader”. I hope you love every “Dragon Tooth, Scale and Claw”.

By Amity, Year 8

______________________________________________________________

I am not the type of person who particularly likes to read. If a teacher or somebody told me to read a book, I would try to avoid it as much as I could. But I have never found a book that that I enjoy more than Dragon Keeper by Carole Wilkinson, which is a fantasy and adventure book set in an Ancient Chinese Han Dynasty to be read by any gender.

The book’s main characters are Ping, Long Danzi, Hua, and Diao.  The character ‘Ping’ was a slave girl taken away from her family when she was a young girl, and the only friend she had was a rat called ‘Hua’. ‘Danzi’ is her dragon companion who helped Ping escape from her terrible master and they are now travelling to the ocean. Along the way, ‘Diao’ stops them in their tracks and is trying to take away the dragon stone. On the way to the ocean Ping finds a special power in her, to defeat the horrible Diao!!

I especially love this novel because it never gives away any detail of what might happen in the next chapter. It is a great book with so much fantasy and adventure in every page to make it impossible to put down!!

I would highly recommend this this book for anybody starting at age 12- to a suitable age maybe higher than 60, as the vocabulary featured in this book is suited for any age. It is a great book, filled with new problems, adventure, yet it also brings a smile or maybe even a tear to one’s face.

By Courtney, Year 8

—————————————————————————————–

I am not one of those people that love to read but when I read Dragon Keeper it was like a fantasy novel.  It blew me away!

In Dragon Keeper there was a girl named Ping and she was a slave that lived on a dragon farm. Her master was Master Lan, who controlled her. She had to do everything that he said.

The book’s main characters were Ping, Danzi, Master Lan, Diao, Hua, Kia Duan and Lao Ma. Hua was a rat that got carried everywhere with Ping.

He would always hide in her pocket of her jacket to keep nice and warm. Danzi was a dragon that escaped from Master Lan and took Ping with him.  He could change into an old man and a snake and  couldn’t be recognised by other people.

I highly recommend this book for girls between 14 and up, as the vocabulary featured in this book is very hard to understand. It’s a great book filled with a lot of adventures. Every page you turn to there would be a new adventure.

By Maddison, Year 8

Tags: , , , , ,

Posted May 1, 2012 by marjk in category Adventure stories, Historical fiction, Student Reviews