May 1

‘Parvana’ by Deborah Ellis

What would you do if your dad were taken away? What if your country was under invasion? And what if you had to turn into a boy? In the novel Parvana, this is exactly what Parvana has to go through. The author, Deborah Ellis, has written several other stories, some of them are about the war.

If you like true and/or sensitive stories then this would be a good book for you. If you are not keen on reading than I do not recommended this book as it takes some time to become interesting.

Sarah Year 8

—————————————————————————

Sad …… ,but a page-turner, the book Parvana written by Deborah Ellis is about a family that sticks together through thick and thin.

The story is set in Afghanistan where the main character, Parvana, lives with her family. Her Dad gets taken away and to survive, Parvana has to dress up as a boy. She has no contact with her Dad and times are tough.

I did like this book but it started really slowly and I became bored, but overall it is a good book. Deborah Ellis has written several other books so if you like books about war and poverty then this is the book for you!

Pia Year 8

—————————————————————————-

Imagine living in Afghanistan and not being able to go outside of your own house. Deborah Ellis portrays a young girl named Parvana living a tough life in Afghanistan and not being allowed to go outside without being caught.

Parvana is a young girl living in the rough times in Afghanistan. Everyday she goes to the market with her dad and tries to keep away from the soldiers that hang out around the markets. One day when her father is taken to jail, Parvana needed to do something to help out her family. She decided to dress up as a boy and help get the family money without being caught.

For people who like drama and suspense, this will be the book for you. Because of the interesting story line, even people that don’t read as much will be able to enjoy this type of book.

Bridget, Year 8

———————————————————————————————–

“Parvana” by Deborah Ellis

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!! I can definitely see why “Parvana” is known as the international bestseller or “The Breadwinner”. The writer, Deborah Ellis, has told the story of young Afghan girl, Parvana, with incredible enthusiasm. Deborah Ellis writes this novel so that you feel as if you are the character and are put in their shoes.

Almosta quarter of the way through the book Ellis strikes the reader with depression and emotion when Taliban soldiers take Parvana’s father. This happens repetitively through the book, which makes the storyline just ten times better than it already was.

Deborah Ellis has used quirky language and interesting situations to get her final point across to the reader. She pulls you right into the story right before the end of the chapter and you are forced to keep reading. I found this book totally addictive and could not put it down.

I would particularly recommend this novel to young girls aged 12 – 16, any younger and some readers may find events in the book disturbing or even frightening. I believe this novel isn’t suitable for boys as it discusses issues that girls go through and wouldn’t be relevant to boys. Deborah Ellis has written a clever and adventurous novel and I would highly recommend this novel to others.

The Final Rating

★★★/★★★★★

Anna, Year 8

Tags: , , , ,

Posted May 1, 2012 by marjk in category Adventure stories, Realistic fiction, Student Reviews

2 thoughts on “‘Parvana’ by Deborah Ellis