May 9

‘Two Weeks with the Queen’ by Morris Gleitzman

I am not the type of person who reads a lot. If someone asked me to read a book, I would say no, as much as possible. I have never found a book that I really enjoyed more than Two weeks with the Queen by Morris Gleitzman.

The book is mainly about cancer, which attracts me more. My friends and I have all read this book and we all have different opinions that relate to the book. I particularly found this novel interesting because when Colin’s little brother ‘Luke’ gets cancer it seems to Colin that it is just another way of his little brother trying to get attention. But when Colin is sent to England and stays with his aunty and uncle he hatches a plan that will really make his mum and dad sit up and take notice. If he can just get to the Queen to ask if he can borrow the best doctor in the country then all will be well.

As you keep reading into this novel you will find a prefect combination of tragedy and comedy as Colin embraces an hilarious mission. I would highly rate this book an 8/10 and it would be suitable for younger readers ages 10 and up. It’s a really great book that you can’t put down. You could read it a thousand times and still be really into it.

Courtney L. Yr 8

————————————————————————————–

Morris Gleitzman’s book “Two weeks with the queen” was quite boring and lacked description. The idea of the story and the message it was trying to give to children was great but the series of dull and boring events let the whole book down. I think it might’ve suited younger kids than me as it was about teaching the reader to be empathetic and to not give up which they need to learn at a young age.

When Colin’s little brother, Luke, is diagnosed with cancer that doesn’t have a cure, Colin strives to find the best cancer researcher and doctor there is. The message for the reader is to never give up even when things are looking down. He wanted the best for his brother so he wrote a letter to the queen and went to the most famous cancer hospital in the world.Outside of the hospital he meets a very special character, Ted, who also has a loved one dying of cancer. Throughout Colin’s journey he grows up and realises that he cannot control everything that happens in his life. He learns to accept the situation as it is and be empathetic for his brother.

The story is lovely but the author failed to provide any climaxes in the story, which bored me. The problems, and consequences seemed so unreal.There were events that no one could have done and got away with. This would make children think they can get away with such rebellious acts.

I rate this book 3 stars. Zali, Year 8

——————————————————————————-

Normally when I read a book and it’s not interesting I stop reading it and move on to another book, but with this book there is just something about it that I like.

It’s interesting and I think it will get better throughout the book. This book is set in Australia in a small town. One of the main characters is Colin. Colin is a determined and quite optimistic character who is not afraid to put himself out there. This book is about a sick boy and his brother, determined to cure him so he sends a letter to the queen asking for a one of the best doctors they have. I liked this book because I think it will get better further into the book. I recommend this story to people in Year 6 and up.

Dan.    Yr. 8

Tags: , , , ,

Posted May 9, 2012 by marjk in category Funny books, Realistic fiction, Student Reviews