May 10

“Wilderness” by Roddy Doyle

“Wasn’t really my cup of tea”. I have just finished reading the book the wilderness by Roddy Doyle and to be honest it didn’t capture my attention very much at all like the epic novels by say “J.K Rowling” or “Suzanne Collins”

The story takes places in Ireland where Sandra and her boys go on a trip to Sweden and Finland, but they encounter some difficulties whilst on vacation. I am a very enthusiastic reader and I love to sit down and get sucked into a fantastic book, but when it comes to books like these I don’t really get the vibe going that makes me want to sit and read for hours on end with novels like these.

On the other hand I do have to give him some credit. The story is very original – has great story structure and very illusive and very comparable characters to keep you entertained for a while. The story starts to kick off half way through the book, but you first have to go far too deep into what its all about before you can actually read it with some anticipation.

Over all I’d rate this book 3 STARS out of five and I’d recommend it for children aged 9- 14 yrs. I didn’t enjoy it very much, and I hope he can lift his game before he releases another novel onto the shelves. – Jordan, Year 8

Tags: , , , ,

Posted May 10, 2012 by marjk in category Adventure stories, Realistic fiction, Student Reviews