October 29

‘Go ask Alice’ by Anonymous

‘Go ask Alice’ by Anonymous begins with a innocent 15-year-old girl who is enjoying life with her friends and family and has no worries. Her dad gets a new job in a new town and Alice’s life begins to go downhill. She finds it difficult to make friends and gets sucked into the world of drugs. She becomes addicted to LSD and starts experimenting with more types of drugs, Alice tries hard to stop the addiction which works for a while but she couldn’t handle it. Shortly after starting again she dies from a drug overdose.

The main character in the book is Alice. She is a 15 year-old-year girl who has a loving family and studies at school. She learns about drugs the hard way and has trouble keeping her addiction under control.

I would recommend this book to anyone of the age of 14 and up because I think this book is relevant to teenagers because it is about teenagers that struggle with drugs, peer pressure or trying to fit in. The book is very good for anyone who is having trouble with peer pressure or anything to do with drugs because it shows them the effects and consequences.

This book is interesting and a real eye opener to the harmful effects of drugs. I would definitely read this book again and recommend it to anyone that is interested in what I have written. Kellen, Year 9

—————————————-

“Go Ask Alice” by an anonymous author is based on a true story about a girl named Alice who is aged 15. She came from a loving family, attended a decent school, and had a roof over her head. One day she decided to buy a diary, so she could write everything she ever wanted to say and it would be all hers. But the beginning of Alice’s story changes when her dad got a promotion at a new town and the family had to move. She started at a new school and had trouble making friends.

When the school holidays came along she went to stay with her grandparents. It was there that her old school friends invited her to a party. Little did she know that attending that party was the biggest mistake of her life. Everything changed when they were playing an unsafe party game and someone rigged her drink with LSD and that was the start of Alice’s riveting adventure.

I recommend this book to any ages from 14 and up, because it is something teenagers should read to understand that drugs and peer pressure are dangerous and could destroy your life. Parents of young teens should read it so they can realize how tough a young teenager’s life can be. ‘Go Ask Alice’ is an inspirational book, filled with ups and downs and packed with life long lessons.

Alysha, Year 9

——————————————————

Go ask Alice is a book that many teenagers could relate to.  It’s set at parties, Alice’s grandparents’ house and different parts around the town.   Alice is a intelligent girl who experiments with drugs to help her ecsape her low self esteem. Her father was a professor at the university, and her mother was a homemaker.  Joel is a student at Alice’s father’s university.  The grandparents are loved members of the family. Alice spends her summer up with them.  Tim and Alexandria can make Alice jealous but eventually Tim will turn into a mature young man.

This story is about a girl that has to move to a new town  where she knows nobody and so one weekend they go back to their home town and she goes to a party, and gets exposed to drugs and her life turns for the worse.

I didn’t really like the book but if I had to like one thing about this book, it would be that it is set out different from every other book, because it is set out like a diary and not many books are written like this one was.

I would recommend this book to teenagers or anyone who might have a drug problem. Reason being is that this book can show the effects of doing drugs and how it can effect people around you.

By Dylan, Year 9

————————————————-

“Go Ask Alice” is a book anonymously written about drugs, sex and a runaway girl. This book takes place everywhere: parties, corner stores, school; even her grandparents’ place is an important place in the story.  Alice is a desperate girl begging to find love. She is an average teenage girl, but doesn’t know how to control her feelings; instead she decides to take drugs and runs away, trying to solve her problems. I enjoyed this book because of the problems with the drugs and the sex and all the other disasters in her life.

This book is about a girl that is forced to leave her school for her Dad’s job. She only has a few friends. She ends up going back to her original town, where she is invited to a party. That’s where she is introduced to drugs. This is when her life starts to become even worse, her parents become more nagging and everything else goes wrong. She can’t handle this, so she ends up running away, twice.

I believe that this book is mostly suitable for teenagers (preferably girls), because this is a dramatic book, which has love and parent crises. This book may always help influence teenagers about the effects of drugs and how it can change someone’s life exceedingly badly.

Dean, Grade 9  

——————————————————-

Go Ask Alice is a book that is based on a trust story of a girl aged 15 called Alice. Many teenagers nowadays can relate to it very easily, because many of us are being peer pressured into doing drugs, losing our virginity and many other things that we should only be considering later on, in adulthood. Alice is a intelligent girl yet she chose to use drugs because she needed it to escape from her low self esteem life.

The storyline is about a teenager who has to move to a new town, where she knows absolutely no one. One weekend she goes back to visit her home town, where all her friends were. They were also holding a party. She chose to go to the party, and of course in teenager’s party there are lots of alcohol and drugs involved. She is peer pressured into doing drugs, but then is addicted and so her life has flipped upside down ever since that one night.

I really enjoyed this book because it is based on a true story, a teenage girl who is using drugs and her life has been bad ever since. Many of us can relate to this nowadays because many of us have low self-esteem and we all think that maybe taking drugs will make us ‘high’ and happy and help us forget about everything, when really it makes you go off your face and you will regret it. In the end of this book, Alice overdoses from using drugs and she was found already dead.

I recommend this book to teenage girls around the age of 14 and up. This is because this book uses a lot of coarse language and a lot of sexual references so I think it would be more appropriate for this age group. The moral of this entire book is that it shows the damaging effects of using drugs and how it can also hurt and affect the people around you, especially your family and friends.

By Emily, Year 9.

—————————————————-

Go ask Alice’ by an anonymous author is about Alice, a 15-year-old girl who has been enjoying her life until her dad got a new job in town. That was when Alice’s life turned around. After a short time Alice returned to her home town to go to a party and her friends were all doing drugs. Alice was peer pressured into doing them, Alice became addicted, and she tried to stop the addiction many times but always seemed to go back to them when her life was down. In the end Alice’s life takes a turn for the end and Alice is found in her room dead from a drug overdose.

The point the author is trying to show in this book is that drugs are definitely a bad thing and there are terrible consequences for this and that you should never give into peer pressure because you could become addicted just like Alice did and you might suffer with the consequences – dying.  This book is also showing that if you do give in to peer pressure and you do get addicted to drugs it will not only hurt you, but it will affect the people around you as well.

I would recommend this book to anyone over the age of 14 because this is the age when teenagers are most likely introduced to drugs. This book has detailed references and course language. I would definitely recommend this book to be read by all teenagers that are going through a rough time with or without drugs to help them see that drugs can take your life.

Rebecca, Year 9

—————————————————

New school, bad grades, misbehaving, drugs, sex and bad influences: the perfect combination for a troubled teen. In the book ‘Go ask Alice’, Alice didn’t start off to be a mischievous outcast. She was a normal teen, she had great friends, and she liked her school and a superior family. Her life was going as planned, until her father moved the family to a different town for his work, with new people, different schools and unfamiliar surroundings. This story is set in a little town. Alice loved where she lived and her school until she moved. The main character is Alice, of course, a 15-year-old teenager who turned to drugs to solve her problems.

I liked this story a lot because I think many teens could relate to it and the situation they may be put in. This book may give them information about the consequences that they may face if they decide to start using drugs. I would recommend this book for late teenage girls, 14 years and up, because it can relate to some teens more than other books. I would rate this book a 7 to an 8 out of 10, because I like the fact that is was written in a form of a diary but I was a little hard for me to follow sometimes.

Ebony – Year 9

Tags: , , ,

Posted October 29, 2012 by marjk in category Realistic fiction, Student Reviews