May 28

‘Chinese Cinderella’ by Adeline Yen Mah

Chinese Cinderella      Can I see my mum? No I can’t. She died three weeks after I was born. I just wanted to be a normal child who lived with her mum. Other than that, my other siblings hated me. They blamed me for our mum’s death and they have never forgiven me.

‘Chinese Cinderella’ is a heart-warming story based on real life. Adeline Yen Mah was a kind, intelligent and caring young girl who loved her family very much even though they did not love her back. Reading this story you can go through the pain just like Adeline with her non-loving family. Adeline won many awards from topping the class in school. Adeline Yen Mah cared for her pet duck PLT as she knew he was the only one that loved her.

If you are a 13 year old girl that loves to read real life and heart warming stories then this is the book for you. ‘Chinese Cinderella’ warmed my heart, how much Adeline believed in herself, especially in her goals in life. I also felt sad when her other siblings did not love her after her mum died. I think that this book is a great way to see how other people live in the world and to see how much they are going through with their family.  

Savana, Year 8

———————————————————————

“Do you have a picture of my dead mama?” Yen Jun-Ling asks her auntie, as she has never seen her mother before.

The novel Chinese Cinderella By Adeline Yen Mah is a true story that I absolutely loved. It makes you appreciate everything that you have in life. The book is a terribly sad book that makes you want to go and hug your mum.

The main character is a little Chinese girl named Yen Jun-Ling. Yen Jun-Ling’s mother dies giving birth to her, which leaves her aunt Baba to look after her with the rest of the family. All of her siblings blame her for her mother’s death. They say that she is “bad luck” to the family. When Yen Jun-Ling thinks to herself that she wants to make her family proud of her she comes home with a silver pin on her shirt, which makes her family proud.

I believe that this book is suitable for females more than males between the ages of 13 years to 16 years as this novel has a lot of meaning behind it and shows a lot of emotion for a more mature age. I rate this novel an 8 out of 10 as I enjoyed reading this novel as the emotion made it a good novel. I also liked this book because you learn a lot from it about people’s lives. I recommend that you read this novel if you enjoy true, sad, emotional stories.

Abbie D, Year 8

———————————————————-

If you had not been born, Mama would have still been alive. She died because of you. You are bad luck.”

When Yen Jun Ling was only 3 days old, her mother died from a high fever. Her brothers and sisters never forgave her.

“Do you have a photo of my dead mama?”

Yen Jun Ling is a Chinese girl living with her beloved Aunt Baba, father, three brothers, one sister and her dreaded step-mother Niang and her two children.  She is under the demanding control of her sinful stepmother. The only real person that cares about her is her Aunt Baba.

This is the story of Yen Jun Ling, and her life, filled with hatred, sadness and despair, a story of a Chinese girl living in China in the 1900s, through a civil war at the end of World War 2. 

I thought that although the story was awfully sad it made me feel grateful to have such as a loving and caring family, unlike Yen Jun Ling. It just goes to show that we must be grateful for the simple things in life because people don’t get it as good as we do. The book was also inspiring to see that even though Yen Jun Ling had a dreadful life she still dragged herself through and tried to look on the positive side of life. I loved the book because Yen Jun Ling had such a hard childhood, but yet she still lives a great life now and she doesn’t let anything get her down.

I think Chinese Cinderella by Adeline Yen Mah would be a  story suitable for girls between the ages of 12 and 15. This is because they would understand the novel and would be able to relate the storyline and the life of Yen Jun Ling to their own lives if they are felling left out or unwanted. Even if you don’t feel unwanted this is an awe-inspiring book and a story that everyone should definitely read.

Georgina F. Year 8

——————————————————————

Within three days of giving birth to me, Adeline Yen Mah, it was all over. My mother had died. Was I going to see her face again? Maybe, but I couldn’t worry about that right now. I had to worry about the rest of my life. Little did I know my life would be tortuous and cruel. My brothers and sisters blamed me for the death of our mama. Would they ever forgive me? My step mum had a sadistic attitude towards me, treating me with open disdain and exclusion. Why was this, you ask? I’m not even quite sure myself!

Are you the type of person who LOVES to read and could stay up all night reading? Or do you just simply like to read in your spare time? Whichever one it is, I already know this is the novel for you!

‘Chinese Cinderella’ is a true story written by Adeline Yen Mah. The book focuses on Adeline’s childhood and the way she was treated by her family. Just by reading this you can imagine what her life was like, but it wasn’t always bad. Adeline would walk to school most days daydreaming about things that were unimaginable; she loved to get the fresh air and to just be able to think. As soon as she arrived at school she blossomed through her academic achievements and her beautiful personality.

I recommend this book to young readers between the ages of 12 and 30 because you’re old enough to understand but still young enough to enjoy. I rate this book a 5/5 and I plead with you to read it because it’s an unforgettable story that will remain with you forever.

Eve, Year 8

————————————————————————

Imagine feeling unloved, unwanted, and hated by your whole family. This is what Adeline Yen Mah feels every day. Hated by her step mum and siblings and never acknowledged by her own father, the book ‘Chinese Cinderella’ sounds like it is a fairytale but it is all too real. If you enjoyed ‘Falling Leaves’, ‘Chinese Cinderella’ is definitely the book for you.

When Adeline Yen Mah was born, a tragedy occurred. Her loving mother died and ever since then Adeline had been blamed for her mother’s death. Her father had ordered all photographs of her mother to be destroyed and Adeline was left wondering what her mother had looked like. Shortly after, her father remarried to a woman called Niang who then had two children who she spoiled and favored.

Adeline was treated as though she was worthless and unwanted. Multiple times her step-mother had told her she would never achieve anything but Adeline, against all odds, topped her class and consistently showed her full potential. ‘Chinese Cinderella’ is a heart warming true story about a young girl who, against all chances, achieves her dreams. Adeline shows a great compassion for writing and after being sent away she discovers her true talents.

‘Chinese Cinderella’ is a story of mixed emotions as you receive a true insight into Adeline Yen Mah’s daily life. This book would be suitable for anyone who has ever felt neglected, hated or unwanted. Adeline was hated by her step mum and siblings and never acknowledged by her own father. ‘Chinese Cinderella’ may seem like a fairy tale but it is a true insight into the life of a young girl who is a unloved, unwanted, and hated by her own family. This is a true story about a young girl who was just an ordinary ‘Chinese Cinderella’.

Erin L., Year 8

———————————————————————–

“Can I see my mum?”

In the words of Adeline Yen Mah this was just the beginning to a tragic story. Imagine feeling alone, unwanted and told that you were bad luck throughout your life. That is the life of Adeline Yen Mah.

Adeline’s mother passed away giving birth to her. Because of this, Adeline’s family gave her a life of hardship. Chinese Cinderella is based on Adeline’s longing and battle for acknowledgment. The novel also tells how she overcame the odds to prove her worth. Being the youngest of six children, Adeline attempted to show how a young girl such as herself could be accepted into a world full of negativity and hatred. Being a straight A student without acknowledgement, Adeline’s story shows us how it feels to be neglected, not only as a child, but also as a student. Her father, on the other hand, is the same story, always failing to look after his own daughter.

Personally, I thoroughly enjoyed Chinese Cinderella. I loved the plot and the photographs throughout the book. The main plot was full of emotional events. Chinese Cinderella taught me not to take things for granted. Some children in the world have families who put them through torture. I would recommend this book to young teens to show them why you shouldn’t take things for granted.

– Tayla G, Year 8

Tags: , , , ,

Posted May 28, 2013 by marjk in category Biographies, Student Reviews