May 31

‘Second Star to the Right’ by Deborah Hautzig

Second star to the rightMeet Leslie Hiller. Leslie is fit 14-year-old girl, who has supportive friends and family, but despite her health and loving environment, Leslie is still convinced that her life would be absolutely perfect if she was thin. She says, ‘I want to be a skeleton- but I also want to be attractive. I want to die- but I also want to live’.

Soon, Leslie started her weight loss journey, trying to lose a few kilograms and going on a strict diet. This only gets her parents worried. Leslie maintains her routine for a little bit, but becomes too busy to eat. The next time Leslie got on the scales she has dropped down to scary numbers. Her family and friends begin to notice Leslie's thin and under weight figure. Leslie takes no notice in her appearance and keeps losing weight… It is not long before Leslie is in a critical condition in hospital.

This novel is engaging and grabbing. It portrays emotion in the most beautiful way. I would recommend this book to teenagers and young adults from the age of 13 to 18 because the age level of most of the characters is between these ages. This book would definitely suit you if you like reading books that tug on your heartstrings. So if you want to find out if Leslie can regain her lost weight before losing herself completely, then this is the book for you!

Victoria, Year 8

------------------------------------------------------------------

Would you go to extreme, fatal lengths just to be ‘perfect’?

“I want to be a skeleton, but I also want to be attractive. I want to die, but I also want to live.”

Leslie is a normal 14-year-old girl who is still a little unsure of herself. She has a little brother, a loving mum and dad, and a very caring best friend. One day Leslie has this urging desire to be ‘skinny’. “If I were thin, my life would be perfect”, she thinks. Through the novel Leslie battles a severe case of anorexia.       Leslie’s life dramatically changes for the worse, she is very underweight and her friends and teachers start to really be concerned about her. Convincing herself she’s fine Leslie still doesn't eat much and tries to lose weight but her body just can’t handle it.

She goes through battles with a voice in her head telling her to keep losing weight while everyone else is  telling her to gain it. Will Leslie save herself or let the voice take over her before it’s too late?

This is a compelling novel for girls between the ages of 12 and 18 looking for an intriguing story of fear, heart and mind, real life complications, and adventure. It is a great read and will give you a new perspective of life and what you can do to make it worth living.

Sophie, Year 8

Tags: , , , ,

Posted May 31, 2013 by marjk in category Realistic fiction, Student Reviews