June 11

‘Hatchet’ by Gary Paulsen

Meet Brian the 13 year old warrior…

“Things seemed to go back and forth between reality and imagination–except that it was all reality.” – Gary Paulsen.

Hatchet      I am reading an amazing book for Literature Circles at school. It is called ‘Hatchet’, written by Gary Paulsen. Brian is armed with nothing but the clothes he is wearing, the hatchet his mother had given him as a present and a tattered windbreaker. Brian finds himself completely deserted and stuck.

In the novel a 13 year old boy named Brian is flying to Canada in a Cessna 406 bush plane to visit his dad when the pilot flying his plane has a heart attack and dies at the stick of the plane. Brian then has to crash land the plane and swim to an island in the Canadian wilderness where he has to learn how to fend for himself and fight for his life.  While he was on the island he made a shelter.

In the book you are always wondering what is going to happen next. The thing that I most liked about the book was that once you started reading you really didn’t want to stop. It always had you wondering what was going to happen to Brian next! The one down side that I saw in the book was his parents were divorced.

I enjoyed the book because it was about a boy my age and it was based in the wilderness. I would recommend this book for mainly boy readers aged 11 – 14 and would recommend more books from Gary Paulsen such as, Brian’s Return, Brian’s Winter and Brian’s Hunt. This is a great book and a good read if you love the outdoors and excitement. I would rate this book 4 out of 5 stars.

Do you think Brian will get rescued?

Ethan, Year 8

Tags: , , ,

Posted June 11, 2013 by marjk in category Adventure stories, Realistic fiction, Student Reviews

1 thoughts on “‘Hatchet’ by Gary Paulsen