June 11

‘Wonder’ by R.J. Palacio

wonder     After reading the first page of this book Wonder I knew it would be an interesting book.

This story is mainly set at a school. There are many different characters in this book. The first person you read about is August Pullman. He interests me because he was born with an abnormallty. The second person you read about is his sister Olivia but everyone calls her Via. The third person you read about is Summer. She also interests me because on the first day of school August was at a table on his own and she came and sat at the same table as him and they became friends. The fourth person you read about is Jack. He is a bit weird because the day he met August he was a bit rude to him and now they became friends somehow. The last person you read about goes back to August but this time he has hearing aids on.

August is finding it hard trying to find new friends at his new school going into fifth grade. This is quite an inspirational book because it focuses on the heart and mind when you read this book start to finish. I would recommend this book to young teens between ten and fourteen who are interested in inspirational books. This book is the best book I have ever read. I rate this book four out of five stars.

Luke O, Year 8

———————————————————–

‘I won’t describe what I look like. Whatever you’re thinking it’s probably worse.’ Wonder

Do you like a book that is captivating and also heart wrenching at the same time. Then “Wonder” is the book for you!

This book is about how a boy experiences the ups and downs, success and failure of going to school for the first time. ‘Wonder’ is a story of a boy who is used to having people run away in terror of his face and how he survives his first time at school.

August Pullman is an ordinary boy; he eats ice cream, plays his Xbox, and rides a bike just like every other boy.  August is normal except for the fact that he was born with a terrible facial abnormality. As August was born with this abnormality he has been homeschooled by his mum his whole life.  But now, for the first time, August will attend school. He will start in Fifth Grade at Beecher Prep School and August is so not looking forward to it. Everyone dislikes being the ‘new kid’ but imagine being the new kid with an abnormality. All a new kid wants to do is blend into the crowd but being August that will be hard to achieve.

‘Wonder’ is a story with lots of emotions. On one hand, August is having the time of his life at school with his new friends; on the other, August has to deal with a great amount of sadness about being picked on. ‘Wonder’ is suitable for anyone who has experienced being different, or been treated differently about his or her looks. This book draws you in from the very first page; you can’t put the book down, it is that good. Reading ‘Wonder’ helps you realize how lucky we are. I recommend this book for 9 to 12 year olds. I would rate ‘Wonder’ 4 out of 5 stars.

Bethany M. Year 8       

Tags: , , ,

Posted June 11, 2013 by marjk in category Realistic fiction, Student Reviews