June 14

‘Starfish Sisters’ by J.C. Burke

starfish“For the first time, three people knew who I was. The real me. And the best bit about it was that they still wanted to be my friend.” (front cover)

This is the start to a trip that bring ups and downs in the girls’ relationship. Can they keep it together? This is a story written by J.C Burke, an amazing writer.

This is a story about four different girls with different backgrounds: Georgie, Micki, Kia and Ace (Courtney). They all have a dream of surfing professionally and making it into the junior squad team. But along the way they come across some bumps and troubles. Will they make it through them?

Courtney (Ace) is a professional surfer and a model for a surfing club. She’s lots of fun to be around and everyone wants to be her. Then there’s Georgie. She is an amazing surfer but she cracks under pressure. Can she keep it together? Other than that she’s a friend of all. Micki is the youngest of all the girls and the happiest. She proves to them that being young doesn’t mean that you can’t be as good as the rest of them. Then there’s Kia. Although she doesn’t really like Micki, she tries to pull it together because her best friend Georgie is getting really close to her. She is having the feelings to do something bad but can’t seem to do it. What will she do?.

I really enjoyed this novel. It is very very interesting and some people could actually relate this to their real lives, so there are some lessons to learn. I would rate this novel 4 out of 5 because there are so many things to learn. I would recommend this story to teen girls because it probably wouldn’t interest boys unless they liked a bit of drama.

Skie M., Year 8

Tags: , ,

Posted June 14, 2013 by marjk in category Adventure stories, Realistic fiction, Student Reviews