November 5

‘Skulduggery Pleasant’ by Derek Landy

Skulduggery“Gordon Edgley’s sudden death came as a shock to everyone.”

This was the starting line of this in depth, fantasy/sci-fi thriller. The story is set in a suburban area, and then moved into the city and countryside during the novel. Skullduggery Pleasant is like no average human. He has no muscle or flesh; all he has is bone. Skullduggery is just a skeleton. He was defeated by evil and turned into a skeleton but he has magical powers. Will he use those powers for good?

Stephanie Edgley was a normal girl until she found out who killed her uncle and why. She decides to follow on with what her uncle did and that was follow and help Skullduggery. Will she last or will she suffer a death just like her uncle’s?

Stephanie would have never thought that the death of her Uncle Gordon Edgley would be the start of something completely amazing in her life. She met Skullduggery, and found out what her Uncle did, and ever since that moment she wanted to continue what her uncle was doing, fighting evil with magic.

I enjoyed reading this novel because it was the type of sci-fi/fantasy that I enjoyed. It also kept me on the edge of my seat. Even though the story did drag on at times, there was enough action in the novel to keep me wanting to read more. The characters in this novel were not too boring but also were not too loud and annoying. For me this was a perfect novel.

I recommend the novel Skulduggery Pleasant to mostly boys between the age of 13 and 17 that are interested in Action, Sci-fi and fantasy novels. I also recommend this novel to any reader that has an interest in magic.

Max H, Year 9.

Tags: , , , , ,

Posted November 5, 2013 by marjk in category Adventure stories, Crime fiction, Funny books, Mystery, Student Reviews