November 17

‘A Walk to Remember’ by Nicholas Sparks

A walk to rememberThey say ‘change is good’ but will it go Landon’s way when he realizes he can’t get the girl of his dreams by the way he is acting? Landon usually is the boy to go for the popular girls but will that all change when he falls for Jamie Sullivan, the daughter of the town’s Baptist minister?

‘A Walk to Remember’ is set in Beaufort, North Carolina. Landon is trying to live his last year at Beaufort High to the fullest. Landon Carter likes to be known as the troublemaker and likes to live life on the edge, unlike Jamie who is someone kind hearted, very religious and has many morals. Landon doesn’t have a very good relationship with his dad unlike Jamie who has a very good relationship with her dad. But Jamie’s mum passed away at childbirth. Therefore, she is very close with her dad, the town’s Baptist minister.

Landon has gone to school with Jaime since primary school but he would never picture himself with her, as they are complete two different people. Landon the troublemaker gets into trouble and faces the consequences. Landon is made to play the main part in the annual drama play along side Jaime. Jaime and Landon get to know each other but will popularity get in Landon’s way?

I thoroughly enjoyed ‘A Walk to Remember’ as it keeps your attention throughout the whole book instead of it being a boring book. ‘A Walk to Remember’ is a book that you will have trouble putting down as you want to know what happens. I also like this book, as it is a romantic book so therefore it has a lot of drama and the book has events in it that you would not expect.

I would highly recommend this book to teenage girls aged around 14-18 as it has a lot of drama and romance that girls would be drawn to. Another reason I would recommend this to teenage girls, is the characters in the book are relatable to them. Also, the problems in the book would relate to teens as the characters have to deal with popularity, bullying and relationship troubles.

Taylah D, Year 9.

………………..

“Halfway down, Jamie suddenly seemed to tire, and they stopped while she caught her breath…it was, I remembered thinking the most difficult walk anyone has had to make in every away, a walk to remember.”

This story is set in the 1950s with two completely opposite, equally loveable characters, Jamie and Landon. They have lived in the same boring town for their whole lives but couldn’t be more different. Jamie is friends with the popular kids that excel at school. Landon? Well, Landon doesn’t excel at anything. He’s average at sport and he gets average grades. There’s nothing special about him. But what Landon doesn’t know yet is that he’s going to be the co-star at this year’s school Christmas play with the help of an acquaintance Jamie. Jamie is a lonely sort of girl who carries a Bible everywhere she goes, even to school. Jamie excels at school. She cares about orphans, the homeless and also loves church. Jamie is also the preachers’ daughter, so of course all the adults love her in a town where everyone is ridiculously religious. You could say these two are complete opposites of each other and you would be right. Jamie’s sweetness could one day get her in trouble, and that’s exactly what happens when Landon asks her for a favour. Jamie accepts Landon’s favour, but in return asks for her own. When Landon has to pay back his favour, he almost wished he didn’t ask Jamie in the first place.

I love this book because there are many different plot twists. It’s unique and I haven’t read a book like this. I found this book enjoyable because the two characters pushed each other around and bicker at every step until the very end. This book also shows the pressures of modern high school life, such as peer pressure and intimidation of people that are different. I would give this book 4 out of 5 stars, simply because sometimes the storyline could get a little confusing.

I would recommend this book for teenagers and young adults from the ages of 14-25 who loves romance and suspense.

Serenity, Year 9

Tags: , , ,

Posted November 17, 2014 by marjk in category Love stories, Realistic fiction, Student Reviews