November 20

‘The Fault In Our Stars’ by John Green

The fault in our stars“You gave me a forever within the numbered days, and I’m grateful.”

The Fault In Our Stars is the bestselling novel by John Green, which explores the humorous, exciting and heartbreaking story of being alive and in love.

Cancer when you’re young isn’t always “The Fault In Our Stars” but it is for these normal teenagers, who are stuck in the pain of dying, and even more unbearable pain of living. Hazel Grace says, “I’m a grenade and at some point I’m going to blow up and I would like to minimize the casualties, okay?”

This is a story of two teenagers, Hazel and Augustus, both cancer sufferers who fall in love. Hazel Grace Lancaster, a sixteen year old cancer patient, believes that everything, including her cancer, is a side effect of dying. In fact it is, until she meets the love of her life, Augustus Waters.

As well as a beautiful love story, this novel tells us so much more about our lives. It tells us that in reality that “we can blame the stars, or tell ourselves it wasn’t meant to be, that it wasn’t destined to happen. But deep down we know that the stars were not at fault and it wasn’t “meant to be.” The fault was in ourselves.”

This is a novel that brings out so much emotion while reading, with so much happiness and so much sadness making you never want to put the book down. This book is a humorous yet sad story that will make you laugh and cry. I would definitely recommend this book to a female aged between 12-40 who likes to read a romantic, heartbreaking thriller. I’d rate the book ‘The Fault In Our Stars’ 4 out of 5 stars.

Kate, Year 9

…………….

“That’s the thing about pain… it demands to be felt.”

This novel, The Fault in our Stars, is all about romance and the love story between Hazel and Augustus. Unfortunately they both have cancer or have had cancer. It’s also about just having life the way you want to even though you know you can’t.

Hazel (Hazel Grace which is what Augustus likes to call her) is scared. She’s scared because she thinks of herself as a grenade and the only way she knows how to minimize the casualties is by shutting everyone she ever cared about or cares about out of her life forever. But what happens if one person is able to knock down her walls and finally get her to open up and not shut him out?

This story is set in Indianapolis, America but they do travel to Amsterdam in Europe to meet their favorite author. Hazel is a 16 year old girl who has been diagnosed with depression. She believes that it is not a side effect of the cancer treatment which the doctor’s keep telling her and her mum thinks it is. Instead, it is a side effect of dying, in her eyes, because she is never going to live her life like everyone else; I mean she already has an oxygen tank.

Augustus is the boy who fears oblivion. He’s 17 years old, has already lost one leg to cancer, loves Hazel and finally gets her to open up.

What happens when Augustus and Hazel first meet? Why do they meet? You can only answer these questions if you’ve read this heart-filled story. This a heart-filled story because it is not about cancer, it is about romance and the love between Hazel and Augustus. The Fault in our stars is such a great book because it is funny, loving, true, romantic, sad, and above all because the kids are in love and characters are funny and have personalities too but they just so happen to have cancer. The book doesn’t let the cancer describe them as a person, it lets them show their personalities which is what Augustus did to Hazel.

I rate this book 5 stars out of 5 stars and, even though everyone all over the world loves this book, I recommend it to whoever is going through a rough time and for teenage girls and older. This book is so heart filled and romantic so that’s the only reason I’m recommending it to young females. Most girls are into romance and love stories. So what happens in this story and why? Only you can find out. Are you going to take the chance?  Remember “Some Infinities are bigger than other infinities, ……but I’m just glad I got my little infinity with you” and “maybe okay will be our always.”

Amelia B, Year 9

Tags: , , ,

Posted November 20, 2014 by marjk in category Love stories, Realistic fiction, Student Reviews

1 thoughts on “‘The Fault In Our Stars’ by John Green

1. Seneth Wijesinghe

Nice insightful review which I think it summaries the book in an excellent fashion. Your blog is viewed world wide you know. I am from Sri Lanka and our school loves this blog.