May 18

‘Looking For Alaska’ by John Green

“She loved mysteries so much that she became one.”

looking-for-alaskaJohn Green is one of my favourite authors and his recent book that I have read (Looking for Alaska) is definitely one that I will be reading again.

One of the main characters in the book is Miles Halter, often referred to by his friends as Pudge, just an ordinary smart teen who has the average couple of friends and is keen on getting good marks in school. He never thought that just by meeting one girl it would change his life and his perspective on things.

Alaska is definitely not a person that you would expect to meet every day either. She’s a go-getter, keen to accomplish anything that might stand in her way. She is always getting herself and others into trouble. You could say that she doesn’t really listen to other people’s opinions and she’s not the sort of person where you’d want to be on their bad side.

Miles and Alaska have a connection through poetry and together they go through a number of different obstacles. Life for Pudge and Alaska seems to just keep on going up and down all the time.

The minute I started reading this book I felt as if I had to force myself to put it down. I read it whenever I could, in bed, during TV; I’d even try to sneak a few pages in during dinner. I have to say if there isn’t a book that I like the look of I don’t really look very far into it but John Green is an exceptional writer and poet.

I would definitely recommend this book to people the ages of 13-18 and especially if you love a little romance with a dash of laughter and a sprinkle of poetry. If you loved “The Fault In Our Stars” (By John Green) then I can guarantee you that once you get your head into this novel, you just won’t be able to put it down.

Emma H., Year 9

Tags: , , , , ,

Posted May 18, 2015 by marjk in category Love stories, Realistic fiction, Student Reviews

1 thoughts on “‘Looking For Alaska’ by John Green