June 11

‘The Hobbit’ by J.R.R. Tolkien

hobbit-cover-01In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, nor yet a dry. This was a hobbit hole, and that means comfort…

Ok! Let me stop you right there! Does this sound like the type of book you would love to read any day, every day? Then the Hobbit is the book for you. But now that we’ve got that over and done with that we should get back to is my blog…

Bilbo Baggins was a little man, smaller than a dwarf of any sort. He was a hobbit. Hobbits are inclined to be fat in the stomach and dress in bright colours and wear no shoes. When Bilbo Baggins sets off on a quest with a company of dwarfs including the king of the dwarfs himself, Thorin Oakenshield, and Gandalf the grey wizard, they try to redeem the dwarves’ homeland but have to travel through Middle Earth the godforsaken place with hoards of orcs and evil creatures everywhere. But there was one problem Bilbo Baggins was neither swift and accurate elf nor one thick-headed killing machine orc. He was just a little hobbit that had barely ever left his home’s side. As the book progresses Bilbo starts to find out something about himself – things that he never thought were there. He even finds something what will change him forever.

The Hobbit was an exciting and mysterious book. I didn’t know what was going to happen next. I really recommend it to anyone who has a heart for adventures, entertaining and mind blowing books. I would no question whatsoever give this book a ten out of ten. PS The movie is also good.

George M, Year 8

—————————

All was well, until one day a thunder storm appeared, not just a thunder storm it was a thunder battle.’

The main protagonist, Bilbo Baggins, is a hobbit who does not like to go on adventures. He hardly likes to leave his hobbit hole. But one day Gandalf, a famous wizard, comes to Bilbo’s house and marks his door with a special mark to signal the dwarves.

Now I will stop right there because I don’t want to spoil it. Sounds exciting? Right! Well it is very exciting when you are reading it. I believe that The Hobbit is a very good book for all ages. The book is mainly for teenagers but middle-aged men would also enjoy it. But not just males can enjoy this book. Many females will enjoy it too.

So if you find that you may like it head down to your local library or bookshop and pick it up. But before you go and get it let me tell you if you are the kind of person that likes to read a romantic comedy turn away and find a new book. But if you like adventure and action with little bits of humour this will be a great book for you. So what are you waiting for? Go get the book and read it.

George B, Year 8

_________________________

“I don’t know. Saruman believes it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I’ve found it is the small things, everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keeps the darkness at bay.

Does this sound like the type of book you love to read? Will it keep you up till midnight? Then The Hobbit is the book for you.

The Hobbit shows thrills, bravery, wonder and adventure which are the main things kids want to read in a book like this. Even though The Hobbit is a scary movie, the book is suitable for ages above 6. This book starts the adventure by following the journey of the character Bilbo who is swept into an epic quest to reclaim the lost Dwarf Kingdom of Erebor.

The Hobbit has taught me about adventure and that life is too long to do nothing, for example Bilbo is at home one day doing nothing, and then someone comes and says we will be at your house later. I would rate this book 4 out of a 5 because of how many scenes show about them fighting and doing adventuring stuff.

We read The Hobbit as a cartoon book so it had many pictures for us to see and read and understand what is happening in the book. It has bright colours and some really dark colours to show the reader how high the mountains are that they are trying to climb. As they reached to the top they found orks that they had to fight. Overall this is a great book.

By Jack T., Year 8

________________

“The bells were ringing in dale and men looked up with faces pale the dragons ire more fierce than fire laid low their towers and house frail.”

This story is set in a fantasy land where dwarfs, hobbits, men, elves, goblins and orcs roam the earth. They all live in Middle-earth and all have enemies and allies.

Bilbo Bagins is a short stubby looking hobbit. He is a quiet but loyal hobbit who hides in his house minding his own business, but when he was needed by Gandalf for an adventure he at first hesitates but then he realises that he is needed so he loyally joins Gandalf. Gandalf is a mysterious wizard with a big long beard and a large grey pointed hat. He likes to tell his stories about what he has done and is extremely wise. There are twelve dwarves in the book and all of them have beards and they are a very rowdy group, who drink and party together.

In the book the The Hobbit, the main character Bilbo Baggins, is smoking his pipe when a grey wizard walks up to the front of his house. They have a brief conversation about an adventure to Mordor with twelve dwarves to kill the dragon Smaug and win back Thorin’s gold. The Hobbit tells of the adventures that the characters have along the way and comes to a conclusion when they finally reach Thorin’s gold.

I found this book to be quite good but it is not my kind of book.   I just didn’t find it very interesting, I found it to be very repetitive. In the book the characters always get caught or get into trouble and then they would escape and then it started all over again, capture, trouble, escape.

The characters are well described and you can understand who they are and their motivation but I felt the character that stood out for me was Thorin. This character gave me the feeling that he had been through many hardships in his life and there was depth to his character. He overcomes his greed and obsession with his gold to become a better person.

I would recommend this comic type illustrated book to children between 9 and 15 who enjoy fantasy books. My rating is 3 out of 5 stars.

Angus N. Year 8

Tags: , , ,

Posted June 11, 2015 by marjk in category Adventure stories, Student Reviews