June 12

‘Cool Hunter: The Rules of Cool’ by Tristan Bancks

cool hunterHunt for cool as you follow Mac and Paul through their journey to become cool hunters.

This story is set in a little town called King’s Bay where Mac and Paul live. Mac is a brave, non complaining and ‘willing to do anything’ boy in Grade 8. He lives in a hippy van with his mum and goes to school with his best mate Paul. Paul is a smart, scared and friendly boy in Grade 8 who loves to invent new things.

Mac and Paul are just ordinary boys with ordinary lives until they crashed their homemade flying bike in front of basically the whole grade. Just as they think they have made complete fools out of themselves, something very strange happens. Two boys offer Mac a job to hunt down all the cool things in his town and then maybe, just maybe, he will get chosen as one of the four cool hunters and travel to New York. At first he thought they were crazy to have picked him but then after a while he decides to go for it and starts filming all of the cool things he finds in King’s Bay. But Paul is very upset that he can’t do it as well, so Mac goes and talks to the boys that offered him the job and says that he is not doing it without Paul, so the boys make an arrangement that Paul can help Mac.

I enjoyed reading this book because it is adventurous, interesting, unpredictable and funny but I think this book would be better for boys that are a bit younger than me.

I would recommend this book for boys aged 6-10 because boys at this age are all about being the coolest boy in the grade and this story is just perfect for them.

Sterre, Year 8

————————-

“Cool or uncool? Geeks or revolutionaries? The votes are in.”

– Tristan Bancks

How often do people “fly a bike” and land with a job? Well that’s what happened to Mac, a teenager from Kings Bay whose dream was to invent something legendary. With his friend Paul as the brains, and Mac as the guts, they were inventors of random cool stuff that usually didn’t work. After they crashed their latest prototype in front of the whole school, Mac was approached by the creators and producers of “Cool Hunters” and offered a job as Kings Bay’s first ever Cool Hunter.

Mac Slater, Cool Hunter was written by Tristan Bancks. It is a very lively book that takes you on an adventure whilst reading. It is unpredictable and funny and would be highly recommended for boys from ages 8-10. With the story centred around Mac, a 13 year old boy, young male readers can relate to the need to be cool and the fun of adventure. In the story Mac, who is anything but cool, is chosen by the creators of Coolhunters, an online site dedicated to finding the coolest things on earth. Readers may relate to Mac as an everyday boy who has the chance of doing extraordinary things. During Mac’s trial, he is competing against Cat DeVrees, who not only is the hottest girl around, but is also desperate to win and get the gig of travelling the world reporting and working for Coolhunters.

I personally did not enjoy the book because I felt it was slow moving and being female, it did not appeal to my personal interests. I feel the book would appeal more to young males interested in adventures, inventions and trying to be cool. It was well written and easy to follow and I would rate this book 6 out of 10.

– Rachel C Year 8

Tags: , , ,

Posted June 12, 2015 by marjk in category Adventure stories, Funny books, Student Reviews