November 13

‘The Fault in Our Stars’ by John Green

The fault in our stars“You don’t get to choose if you get hurt in this world…but you do have some say in who hurts you. I like my choices.”

John Green has written some of the best books that have been published. As well as this book he has also written books such as Looking for Alaska and Paper Towns. This particular book is mainly based around two main characters called Hazel Grace and Augustus Waters. Hazel Grace has been diagnosed with lung cancer. When she starts going to a support group she meets a guy named Augustus Waters. At first they don’t see eye to eye on everything but as the book progresses, they begin to feel very fond of each other and begin to realise that they have similar interests and life goals.

‘“I’m on a roller coaster that only goes up,” he said. 
“And it is my privilege and my responsibility to ride all the way up with you,” I said.’

I found this a very intriguing book because when you start reading it, it’s incredibly difficult to put it down. Some of the scenes in this book very much relate to younger people and issues that they are faced with, which is a good way to get people’s attention. In my opinion, John Green is one of the best authors that you will come across because his books remind people that not everyone is as they first appear to be, and that if you look deeper and get to know them better, you may find yourself meeting a whole new person. I would highly recommend this book to young women from the ages of 12-20 and especially if you enjoy a good heart-filled, edgy novel. Even if you’re not a reader you should give this book a try. I rate this book five out of five stars and guarantee you will love it as much as I do.

~Emma H, Year 9

……..

“I fell in love the way you fall asleep; slowly then all at once.”

Meet Hazel Grace Lancaster. She is 16 and affected by one of the worst diseases on the planet: cancer. Diagnosed with an untreatable form of thyroid cancer at the age of thirteen, which had since spread to her lungs causing them to occasionally flood with fluid, the condition has made breathing a problem without the assistance of her oxygen tank, which she called Phillip. Hazel described her condition as, “My lungs suck at being lungs.”

Hazel doesn’t attend school and is diagnosed with depression by her doctor, due to the fact that she barely leaves the house, eats little and reads the same books over and over. Her doctor also insists that she visits a cancer support group to make friends. This is where she meets Gus, who is also a 17-year-old cancer survivor with humour and a lot of love to give. After they meet, they fall hopelessly in love with one another and from then on is a mystery for you to discover.

This book is a fictional book full of romance and adventure of two love-struck cancer survivors living their lives to the fullest. I find this book a great read due to the fact it teaches you how precious life and love are. Also it shows that life is unfair in many ways and we need to push through even if you have no hope. I found it an incredibly hard book to put down and I am in love with John Green’s other books, including Looking for Alaska. I recommend it to mostly teenage girls, due to the fact that it is more of a romance novel. I rate The Fault in Our Stars 4 out of 5 stars.

Jess.R, Year 9

……..

“ Some infinites are bigger than others”.

Cancer is such a dreadful disease and an emotionally draining experience. The fault in our stars is set in a small town in Indiana. This novel is about teens suffering from illnesses that meet at a support group each week. One week a new member joins the group and this is the start of when the two main characters fall in deep unconditional love.

This book is very well structured with realistic aspects, which create an engaging story line to follow. The Fault In Our Stars is about a Hazel Grace Lancaster, a 16-year-old girl suffering from lung cancer, who has a love for a certain book named ‘Imperial affliction’. Hazel meets a cancer survivor named Augustus Walters at a local support group called ‘The Literal Heart of Jesus’. This support group is for teens suffering from an illness which prevents them from having a normal life. This book is about Hazel and August’s emotionally insightful journey together. John Green creates a story filled with romance, bravery, friendship, quirkiness, excitement and emotional conflict, bringing laughter and tears to the reader. The author uses a great range of dialogue as well as descriptive and poetic language. This makes the book full of depth and intensity, which comes as an easy read.

In conclusion I believe The Fault In Our Stars is perfect easy read for female teenagers who love a good romantic, heart-filled book with a pinch of adventure. This book is about the story of two cancer patients who go on a wonderful journey. This book will bring laughter and tears to the reader.

Tiana, Year 9

……..

‘The Fault in Our Stars’ is a novel by author John Green. The story follows the main character, sixteen-year-old Hazel Grace Lancaster, who battles with thyroid cancer. Thyroid cancer develops when the cells of the thyroid gland grow and divide in a disorderly way. Not only is Hazel trying to live a normal life, but she is also struggling with the fact that her parents will have to live and learn to be without her after she passes away. While attending a church support group for cancer survivors, as her parents believe she is depressed because she has cancer, she meets a boy who is one year older than her, Augustus Waters. Augustus has a type of cancer that causes him to lose his leg and wear a prosthetic, called Osteosarcoma.

From the first day that Hazel meets Augustus the two are practically inseparable. Being diagnosed with cancer is the basis of their friendship and their love for books. Hazel shares her favourite book, ‘An Imperial Affliction’ with Augustus, and they bond over this book and have a burning desire to find out how the story ends because the author stops the book before providing the conclusion about what happens to each of the characters. Augustus joins Hazel’s pursuit of the book’s author, Peter Van Houten, to provide the answers that they need. Augustus uses a wish foundation to fly him and Hazel to Amsterdam, where the author lives, to talk with him in person to find out the end of the story. While experiencing each other’s hobbies and interests on the way, the two find a love for each other.

This novel is relatable to teenagers as teen issues are addressed in this book. I recommend this book to teenagers, young adults between the age of 12 and 25 who are interested in a heart-filled, romantic and exciting novel containing life lessons. I find this book an amazing read. I’d rate this novel ‘The Fault in Our Stars’ 4 out of 5 stars. Mia R, Year 9

Tags: , , , ,

Posted November 13, 2015 by marjk in category Love stories, Realistic fiction, Student Reviews