November 26

‘If I Stay’ by Gayle Forman

ifistay_GayleForman“Sometimes you make choices in life and sometimes choices make you.”

This is a quote that is used in the book If I Stay. The story is set on a snowy day when Mia and her family decide to go for a drive and are in a car accident, which leaves Mia in a critical condition. The main characters in this book are Mia, who is 17 year old and has her whole life to plan for, and then there is Adam who is 18 years old and is dating Mia and has a band that is travelling the world.

Set in Oregon, Mia and her family were one day driving to see their grandparents when a truck came around the corner and spun out of control and hit their car. Mia wakes up and soon after realises that she is in a comer and she doesn’t know what has happened to her family. She then later has to decide whether she wants to stay or leave life, which is one of the hardest decisions she will ever have to make. Mia plays the cello and before the accident had happened she auditioned for Julliard, a prestigious music school. On the day of the accident she was going to find out if she had got in or not and Adam, Mia’s boyfriend, finds an envelope from Julliard which gives the answer to that question.

I enjoyed this book because it left you thinking and wanting to know more about what will happen if she woke up or not. I would recommend for teens and young adults to read this book because I believe that it suits them the most.

Rhiannon.S Year 9

……..

If I Stay is about Mia and her brother (Teddy) and her mum and dad. One day in their lovely home state in America, it snows, and they are in a car crash. Mia’s Mum and Dad die at the scene, and both Mia and Teddy are in a critical condition. What happens next is incredibly difficult to explain, so this is what I made of it.

Mia enters a state of ‘non-death’ and watches over as her body is operated on and transported from ward to ward until it ends up in the ICU. She watches as people come and go, watching her body. The rest of the book is based upon Mia reflecting over her life and what she’s accomplished and achieved and answering the ultimate question: Should I Stay or Should I Go?

This book was actually surprisingly short, or compact would be a better word, and that’s my first positive. Short, but definitely sweet as well. This is a really interesting book to read as it tackles a sense of achievement and also overcomes that stereotype against musicians that they can’t have boyfriends who are into modern stuff (Adam) or they have no friends or they can’t achieve anything in day to day life because it’s a dying art. I like that. I also like the fact that this wasn’t a complete chick flick! This book doesn’t start with ‘Stephanie knew the boy next door. And he was the worst thing that ever happened…’ because I find that stuff boring. Don’t get me wrong, it was borderline, but it wasn’t romance. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone, but I also fail to see how this can be sensibly adapted into a feature length film.

Lilly, Year 9

……..

“Sometimes you make choices in life and sometimes choices make you.”

If I Stay is a heart-felt drama about the young love and drama of a new couple, Adam (18) and Mia (17) and the hurdles they have to face testing their relationship. Their fate has been drastically changed when Mia’s family of four decide to take a drive on a frosty snowy day in Oregon only to discover a life-changing moment is around the corner.

Mia, 17, an aspiring cello player wanting to make it big in the music world, has to face something no seventeen-year-old should: a life changing accident that leaves her hospitalized and in a critical condition where all she can do is fight for her life in the hope she will make it through.

Adam, 18, lead singer of his band, The Willamette Stone, finds his heart lies with Mia. Adam and his band are finally starting to make it big and have been travelling around with his band working on his music career. When he hears the tragic news of Mia’s accident, he rushes to her bedside in the hope of seeing her and giving the support she needs to make it through.

Mia and Adam have to find the strength they desperately need to go on and make it through the tough time. This book is about the young love of a couple constantly tested on their strength and love to make it through. Mia’s dream is to get into a prestigious college and pursue her dream to be in one of the world’s most sort after orchestra playing the cello but Adam’s dream is to play with his band and receive the attention needed for a recording contract. Mia then has to decide between going to her dream college or following Adam as he chases his dreams.

This is a romantic drama that many would enjoy but I firmly believe the ages that would this enjoy this novel ranges from ages 12-18 onwards. I believe this age group is appropriate because many of the scenes are quite dramatic and upsetting due to the accident and the family and friends’ comments regarding Mia’s condition and state.

This novel is one of great use of emotion and connection. As you continue to read you find yourself connecting on a deep and emotional level as you start to feel as if you know the characters, understand their place in the story and feel connected with the characters. You understand the life-changing decisions they are made to make.

Ellie.M, Year 9

……..

“Please Mia,” he implores. “Don’t make me write a song,” Adam whispers to Mia, as she lays peacefully. Mia has a difficult choice to make. Does she go or does she stay?

A lovely home in America holds a family with a passion for music. But the daughter’s taste is a little different, with a cello in her hand instead of a Fender Stratocaster. A cold snowy day decision will show the fate of this family.

The story is about Mia and her younger brother Teddy and her parents. Mia is a teenage girl who, unlike her family who like rock music, likes classical music and plays the cello. Mia is the main character of the story and the story is told from her perspective.

The story begins with school being cancelled due to the snow and the family deciding to go on a road trip. The story is written with events told in the past and the future so that we only get the full story at the end of the book. In the car accident due to the weather and icy roads, the car swerves and hits another car. Mia’s brother is instantly killed and Mia experiences an out of body experience when her body is put into an ambulance. She tries to get help but cannot, as she is not conscious.

I really enjoyed this novel as one of the main characters Adam, Mia’s love interest, is a lead singer of a rock band. I have an interest in rock music therefore I relate to him more than Mia. The book was an easy read and I found it difficult to put down, as I wanted to know what was going to happen next.

I would recommend this book to people aged 14+ with an interest in “chick flicks”.

Darcy M Year 9

Tags: , ,

Posted November 26, 2015 by marjk in category Love stories, Realistic fiction, Student Reviews