June 9

‘Ruby Red’ by Linzi Glass

ruby redRuby Red is a book that introduces us to the world of racism and poverty in South Africa during the time of Apartheid. Ruby’s family own and operate an illegal art gallery whilst being monitored by undercover police. When Ruby’s mother, Annabel, holds a big art exhibition including black African art, everything starts getting out of hand.

Ruby Winters lives two lives. One as an ordinary school prefect and the other as an owner of an illegal art gallery that nurtures African artists with potential. Ruby falls for an African boy,  which then leads to separation from her friends and she begins to be harassed. My favourite character is Julian. He is an inspiring artist. He is physically and mentally strong, wise and caring. He demonstrates determination and hope.

The book Ruby Red really intrigued me because it is a story that demonstrates the hardship and adversity of the African race. Linzi Glass created an engaging storyline and interesting characters. Also, the book shows examples of racist people. A big issue in the book is that people label a group based on race. Not all Africans are thieves. Like Julian, some Africans are inspiring artists. I have learned that everybody should begin to understand each other and unite as one.

I believe anyone between the age of 12-30 would love this book. Young teens would be fascinated by the thrilling double life Ruby lives and adults would be fascinated by the truth of reality. I also loved the theme of respect. Ruby Winters displaying respect to every race makes me happy. I rate the book Ruby Red 4 out of 5 because it gave us insight on real life issues such as racism and poverty, yet it still maintained a brilliant plot that kept me thrilled the whole way. If you liked this book, I recommend another book written by Linzi Glass titled The Year The Gypsies Came.

Ryan T, Year 8

Tags: , , , ,

Posted June 9, 2016 by marjk in category Adventure stories, Realistic fiction, Student Reviews