June 10

‘Megan’, by Mary Hooper

Megan-by-Mary-HooperThe book I have read is Megan, written by Mary Hooper.

Megan is only fifteen. One day she finds out in the worst possible way some terrible news – that she is pregnant.

What will she do?

How will her friends react?

How will the father of the baby react?

But worst of all, how will her mother react?

Will Megan keep the baby?

In this readable story, Megan tries to make sense of something that whichever way she turns will change her life forever.

This book is a good read for teens preferably for 13 years girl and up. Boys could also read this book to teach them a lesson but this book it recommended mainly for girls.

I thought Megan was a great and easy read. It was very interesting and it didn’t have easy answers to the problems she encountered.  The book was difficult to put down and the ending leaves you wondering what will happen next. This book is first of the trilogy and once you finish it you just have to read the next one. I give this book a 5 star rating.

Ashleigh. L, Year 8

……

“Was one of those things really inside me? I put my hand on my tummy again. Could I feel something in there or was I imagining it? Was that just a bit of wobbly fat or something else? (Megan, p.18).

The novel that was read was ‘Megan’ by Mary Hooper. This book is a faction novel. Faction novels have information about possible events but it not true. The Megan Series are the other novels written by the author. They are about how Megan deals with her life and with her child. ‘Megan’ was simple and predictable but at the same time it was compelling and readers described it as though they needed to know what would happen next.

The novel was set in the 21st century in England. The characters in this book are legitimate. A character that stands out is the mother. The mother is a character that puts a lot of pressure on Megan as she wants her to have a good life and have a baby later in her life.

In Megan’s world, there are many dangers to her and her child. Some of these dangers include harassment, short teenage-hood, and the danger of never finding a partner.  Harassment is a danger to Megan as in high school she was harassed by some boys. After that Megan was extremely careful, as when she was harassed Megan felt terrible! Megan’s mother believes that she will only have a short teenage-hood as she will need to mature way too quickly. Not finding a partner is a huge danger for Megan as she has no one to rely on. Megan does not overcome these dangers but she is careful and tries to enjoy life with friends.

This story is engaging and powerful. At the end of the book it was extremely satisfying. Although satisfying it was almost expected that she would keep her child.

In conclusion, the book was interesting. The highlight of this book is extremely hard to decide. This book is recommended to be for young girls/women aged 13 years plus. This age group would most likely find it interesting and educational. This book could be rated 5/5 stars.

Rachel V, Year 8

……

“Everything in life is a reflection of a choice you had made. If you want a different result, then make a different choice.”

Megan was only 15 when she discovers during class that she is 5 months pregnant. Megan has to go through the troubles of being pregnant at a young age.

Megan goes through many challenges, from her close friend hanging out with others to her mum telling her what to do.

I recommend this story to a girl 13 years and up to read this book. The story taught you a good lesson to stay safe and that your choices may affect yourself and others.

Megan’s actions have changed how she thinks and acts. Megan’s mum transports Megan to her aunt’s. Megan’s aunt tells her what happened when she was pregnant around the same age and how her choices still come to her today. Megan meets many nice friends were her aunt lives and goes to a motherhood class to help her with the future.

Slowly Megan grows from her mistake and learns how to handle a baby with care and nurture. Megan’s mum starts to tell little white lies to her neighbours as to why Megan is missing, while Megan’s friend stars to drop hints while Megan is away. Megan writes to her father in Australia saying she might live with him with the baby because her mum wants the baby adopted. The book “Megan” has a great example that “Everything in life is a reflection of a choice you had made. If you want a different result, then make a different choice.” And that “The past can hurt but you can either run from it or learn from your mistakes.”

The book is quite a good book but not my style of reading. If you read and love the first book of “Megan” then you can read “Megan 2” and “Megan 3″ that will complete the whole story. I’d rate this book ” Megan” a 2.5 stars.

Sofia N, Year 8.

……

She was rambling on and I wasn’t taking all of it in and then she said, ‘Of course, it is possible to be pregnant and still have periods.’ I didn’t hear what she went on to after that, I was just stuck on that: of course, it is possible to be pregnant and still have periods (Megan Novel page number 8).

This novel was about a girl named Megan. The novel ‘Megan’ is a faction book written by Mary Hooper. Megan is a simple and predictable book, yet this story strikes reality first. ‘Megan’ was compelling because throughout the story you always wanted to know what would happen next.

The setting and characters in the book are based on reality. The story is set in the 21st century in Great Britain. The story brings excitement and danger at every corner. Megan is a book that involved doing research for all the characters. Writing this book, Mary Hooper made the characters pop out. The story line followed one character after another and this is what connected me to the characters.

“Without thinking, my hand moved on to my stomach. It didn’t feel any different. But was that because I didn’t want to? Was it just a bit bigger? Rounder?” Using this quote, Megan gives the character a feeling. Using this feeling, the book engages the reader.

Following Megan’s life, the story was powerful, heart-filling and overwhelming. The end of the story involved characters in an unthinkable decision. The story outline was interesting and truthful. The writer’s style gave me inspiration and this is because the theme of the story was about surviving and never giving up hope. The theme of the story changed every now and again.

‘Megan’ is a book that involves having bravery and courage. The highlight of the story was when Megan kept her child Jack. I recommend the story to pre-teens because the story was easy to read  and it was quite interesting. The theme changed every now and again and I rate the book about a 3.5 out of 5.

By Courtney D, Yr 8

Tags: , , ,

Posted June 10, 2016 by marjk in category Love stories, Realistic fiction, Student Reviews