June 2

‘Four: A Divergent Collection’ by Veronica Roth

Do you like books about bravery, and facing your fears? Do you like Sci-Fi books about dystopia and utopia? Then you would love the Sci-Fi Book Four: A Divergent Collection, by Veronica Roth. If you have ever read any of the Divergent series then you would love this book. It is set in the same world, but instead of Tris Prior being the main character, the fan favourite from the Divergent series Tobias Eaton, is the main lead. This novel is very addictive and interesting and, after reading it, you will want to read all the books in the series.

Four is about a young man named Tobias Eaton, who is living in a society where people are put into five categories called factions: Abnegation (the selfless), Erudite (the intelligent), Amity (the peaceful), Dauntless (the brave) and Candour (the honest). Tobias is in Abnegation where people are selfless, then Tobias transfers to Dauntless, where people are loud, wild and brave. This is a big change for him. When he is in Dauntless he changes his name to Four, and he must learn the way of a Dauntless member.

I really liked the ending of the book, because it ended off where Tris from the Divergent series comes into Dauntless. I thought the book was very engaging and well written.

I think the theme in Four is skill and strength. In the book, Four has only four fears, and his biggest fear is his father Marcus, and Four must get the strength to face his father, and his other fears. Also, Four must get the skill to make it through to Dauntless, and eventually have the skill to be one of the Dauntless leaders.

I really liked this book, because I found it very engaging, and I never found it boring. I think the highlight of the story was the main character Four. I found him interesting, and I thought he was very strong and brave. I think the book is a good example of dystopia and utopia, because one of the big things the book is about is population control (the five factions). I would recommend this book to anyone between the ages of 12 and 18. Four sometimes feels out of place, and I think a lot of teens could relate to that, and they could learn from Four that you can face your fears. I rate this book 4/5.

Madeline M., Year 8

…..

One choice will free him.”

Four’ is the dark and interesting backstory of the main character in the Divergent series, Tobias Eaton, commonly known as FOUR. This book is full of action and suspense making you want to read more and more. The story is told from Tobias’ perspective and throughout the book you will see many different sides to him.

The prequel to the Divergent series, Four delves into the role of Tobias Eaton, a troubled boy whose father abuses him. His mother is deceased and because of the treatment by his father it has left him shy and afraid. After so long, Tobias is sick of all the abuse he receives from his father and at the age of 16, to escape his father, he transfers over into the Dauntless faction. This faction is dedicated to bravery, courage, strength and physical skills. The Dauntless faction was formed by those who blamed cowardice for society’s problems.  When he gets to the Dauntless facility he struggles to fit in with everyone else. They are unknown to him. Tobias becomes known as Four because he has four fears which is unusual in this world because most people have ten or more fears, however Tobias’ fears are quite significant. Slowly as the story unfolds, Four adapts to the ways of the Dauntless world and he starts to make friends. But what will come next when Four meets the new initiates coming in? Will he find love? Or will his world still be as lonely as it is now? That is up to Four as he journeys through his life growing up without anything but his few friends.

I would strongly recommend ‘Four’ to people age 13 plus as it deals with problems teenagers can relate to. It has an interesting and thrilling story of how one boy can rise to the top, but still be humble and fair. I would rate ‘Four’ by Veronica Roth, 5 out of 5 stars for its thrilling story and relatable characters.

Thomas K., Year 8

Tags: , , ,

Posted June 2, 2017 by marjk in category Dystopian fiction, Student Reviews