June 2

‘The Wind Singer’ by William Nicholson

Do you enjoy reading a catchy book or science fiction/adventure fiction? I suggest you read ‘The Wind Singer’ by William Nicholson.

The Wind Singer was quite a slow book to get into however; you need to persist as it is an exceptionally good book. The Wind singer is part of a trilogy called ‘Wind on Fire.’ This book was a type of book that you always want to read and never put down. The Wind Singer wasn’t very predicable, which I enjoyed because you never know what is going to happen.

I personally think that ‘The Wind Singer’ setting adds another aspect and take on the book. The characters in the book seem realistic, however I personally think the story line of the book could happen in our everyday life.

In the Wind Singer, there are two characters that I personally think stand out the most. They are Kestrel and Bowman. These two character are brother and sister. I am so pleased and happy that I was read this book, as it was teasing because you didn’t know what was going to happen when you turned over to the next page, which I enjoyed. Although at the start of the book it was a little bit confusing, when you get to the end it all makes sense and adds up.

The theme of the book is science fiction/ adventure fiction. What I took out of the book is that if you do not do something wrong or illegal and you know you are going to get into trouble, then don’t do it in the first place!

Overall, I truly enjoyed the Wind Singer as it was excellent and really catchy. I think that the book was more adventure fiction than science fiction, however it did go under the Science fiction category. Out of five, I would rate this book a 3.5!

Daniella F., Year 8

…..

Sagahog! Pomparune! Saga-saga-hog!

I have not read any book by The Wind Singer’s author, William Nicholson. I think the book is a fantasy book. I found this story hard to understand because they could be talking about one thing but then skip straight to something else.

The story was convincing, but the setting didn’t really help to make the story convincing. I think that the characters do seem real. Pinpin stands out because she is such a sweet little girl, and seems to have a good personality. I think that the ending was good because it had some really good explanation words.

I think that the author is trying to say that you can’t give up on anything, and that you can’t always trust everyone. Also it could be saying to always take time with your test.  I think that because there were a lot of tests in the book and Pinpin was there to support the others. I didn’t really like the book because it was kind of boring as there wasn’t a lot of action, but I love how the characters are so bright and loving towards each other.

I don’t think that it was a science fiction book because there wasn’t much in there. 13 year olds and above should read this because it is more easily understood by that age group. The rate I give this book is a 6/10.

Mya H., Year 8

Tags: , , , ,

Posted June 2, 2017 by marjk in category Dystopian fiction, Student Reviews