June 5

‘Star Wars Jedi Apprentice: The Hidden Past’ by Jude Watson

“When you look at the Dark Side, careful you must be. For the Dark Side looks back.” –Yoda.

‘Star Wars: The hidden past’ involves a Jedi Knight by the name of Qui-Gon Jinn and his apprentice Obi-Wan Kenobi. This book is set on a planet called Phindar.

Upon arrival Obi-Wan meets up with an old friend called Guerra. Little did they know, Guerra’s brother Paxxi was the driver of the ship that flew them to Phindar. Upon spending time on Phindar, Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon discovered that the planet was ruled by a dictatorship called the Syndicat, who use an evil technology to punish the citizens of Phindar.  This technology wipes all the memory from a person’s mind. The people who have their memory wiped are called the renewed. The renewed are then sent to another planet, and dumped in a random area. They are then followed around by a camera and bets are placed on how long they will survive. Without being on Phindar long Obi-Wan runs into trouble. Will his memory be erased forever?

I liked this book because it gave some insight into the relationship between Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon before the major motion picture, Star Wars episode 1: A Phantom Menace. The book also sets the scene very well. I often felt while reading this book, that I was walking through the streets of Phindar. This book has many fight scenes that children would find enjoyable.

I would recommend this book to anyone from the ages 7-11, as it provides words that some children of these ages would find hard or challenging. Any ages over this may find this book boring or unwholesome. Although this is a very good book, I believe that it is missing that spark that makes a book great.

“Peace over anger.

Honour over hate.

Strength over fear.”

(A quote from the book.)

by Kobi H., Year 8

Tags: , ,

Posted June 5, 2017 by marjk in category Student Reviews