June 16

‘The Carbon Diaries 2015’ by Saci Lloyd

(Welcome to a world where carbon is restricted and people’s lifestyles are on the line.)

Join Laura Brown on the worst year of her life. It’s 2015 and in the UK carbon dioxide rations have been put in place to try and reduce greenhouse gas emissions into the fragile atmosphere. Environmental woes aside, Laura just wants to be noticed by the boy next door, Ravi Datta. If it’s not carbon warfare and teenage crushes, its Laura’s family slowly crumbling under the pressures of the new carbon rationing regime. Amidst the disarray of Laura’s life her band, The Dirty Angels, struggle to make it big time.

Interested in a climatic Sci-Fi novel filled with teen drama, societies downfall, pig troubles and bad weather? Well, this is the book for you.

Set in a dystopian world where greenhouse gas emissions have gotten so bad, carbon rations have been put in place to ensure survival. 16-year-old Laura Brown lives in the UK with her mum (Julia), dad (Nick) and sister (Kim). Laura and her family are struggling to abide by the rationing regime with old habits proving themselves difficult to adapt. Laura struggles to make it through college tests and exams due to the distractions of her band and her spiralling out of control family. With her mum leaving the house due to disagreements, her dad finding solace in a pig and an overly moody sister, Laura has her fair share of distractions, not to mention her band and the most important distraction of all to Laura…Ravi Datta.

I absolutely loved this book. The way Saci Lloyd had written it in diary entries made the book like a personal glimpse into Laura’s day.  This book is interesting; the characters were relatable as each had their own problems to deal with. The book was enjoyable from cover to cover. I was intrigued by the way the author addressed the problem of greenhouse gases which are a growing problem in today’s society. Saci made it easy for me to relate to her characters especially her main character (Laura) with her typical problems. The novel reflects issues that most teenagers go through, like love and self-awareness. All in all, it was a great read.

I would most definitely recommend this book to people of ages from 13-20 who have interests in teen drama, a hint of romance, family drama and Science fiction based pollution problems. I truly enjoyed this book which is why I’m awarding it 4-5 stars. A true eye opener.

By Milla T., Year 8

Tags: , , , ,

Posted June 16, 2017 by marjk in category Realistic fiction, Student Reviews