November 11

Catholic Social Justice Organisations

YOUR ASSIGNMENT: Investigate the work of a Catholic welfare agency: eg Caritas or Catholic Mission Australia and explain how they are responding to these social needs as a way of living the Christian vocation.

The links below will help you find information about how the following organisations respond to social needs, living out the principles of Catholic social teaching.

Catholic social teaching

You will find the Key Principles of Catholic Social Teaching here.

Here are some biblical references instructing us to help those less fortunate than ourselves:

“Nevertheless, be patient with someone in humble circumstances, and do not keep him waiting for your alms. Help the poor for the commandment’s sake, and in their need do not send them away empty-handed.” Ecclesiasticus 29: 8 – 9 (NRSV)

“When he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, he went to the synagogue on the sabbath day, as was his custom. He stood up to read, and the scroll of the prophet Isaiah was given to him. He unrolled the scroll and found the place where it was written: ‘The spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favour.’ And he rolled up the scroll, gave it back to the attendant and sat down. The eyes of all in the synagogue were fixed on him. Then he began to say to them, ‘Today this scripture has been fulfilled in your hearing.’ All spoke well of him and were amazed at the gracious words that came from his mouth. They said, ‘Is not this Joseph’s son?” Luke 4: 16 – 22 (NRSV)

“When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on the throne of his glory. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats, and he will put the sheep at his right hand and the goats at his left. Then the king will say to those at his right hand, “Come, you that are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world, for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me. Then the righteous will answer him, ‘lord, when was it that we saw you hungry and gave you food, or thirsty and gave you something to drink? And when was it that we saw you a stranger and welcomed you, or naked and gave you clothing? And when was it that we saw you sick or in prison and visited you?’ And the king will answer them, ‘Truly i tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of our family, you did it to me.'” Matthew 25: 31 – 40 (NRSV)

“‘The spirit of the Lord is upon me because he has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favour.'” Luke 4: 18 – 19 (NRSV)

Caritas:

Caritas’ Catholic Social Teaching

The values of Caritas

Project Compassion

What your donations can do

Global Issues

Teachers, the educational toolkit is here.

The Caritas Youtube channel shows projects Caritas Australia has carried out.

Catholic Mission_Logo

Catholic Mission Australia:

The values of Catholic Mission

Their mission in action

rosies

Rosies:

The role of Rosie’s

Mission in action

Rosie’s mission in action for students

SVDP1

St Vincent de Paul:

Vinnie’s Mission and vision

Spirituality

Mission in action

Mission in action for students

Edmund Rice Camps:

Edmund Rice Camps

Edmund Rice Camps (ProBono Australia)

Edmund Rice Camps Seeking Volunteers (Herald Sun)

Centacare

Centacare Gold Coast

Orange Sky Laundry:

Orange Sky Laundry’s homepage (particularly read ‘What we do’ and ‘Why we do it’)

‘Mobile shower van for homeless hits Brisbane streets thanks to Orange Sky pair’ (ABC News)

‘Orange Sky Laundry offers clean clothes and conversation for homeless in Canberra’ (ABC News)

‘Orange Sky Laundry offers free washing service for Sydney’s homeless’ (The Sydney Morning Herald)

Orange Sky mobile laundry duo plan to shower city’s homeless’ (Brisbane Times)

‘Orange Sky Laundry team now helping homeless to shower’ (7 News)

1 thoughts on “Catholic Social Justice Organisations