Book Review writing
How to write an online Book Review (for our blog):
- Give the title of the book and the author’s name.
- Get the reader’s attention in the first line with a catchy intro, such as a short quote.
- Explain where the story is set.
- Tell us a little about the main characters.
- Give a brief outline of the story without giving too much away.
- Explain why you liked it so much.
- To whom would you recommend this story?
- Sign the review with your FIRST NAME ONLY and Year level.
Be honest: Give your review personality and remember that kids want to know what you REALLY think.
Be detailed: Tell us exactly what you liked or didn’t. Was it a story you couldn’t put down? Were the characters just like people you know? What made it special?
Be accurate: Be sure to get the title, author, and character names right, plus double-check your spelling and grammar. We aren’t able to post reviews that don’t make sense or have the wrong information.
DON’T spoil it: Please don’t give away the ending! Tell readers enough about the plot to hook them, but keep them hanging so that they want to read the book.
There’s a scaffold to help you write a formal book review on the Aquinas Reads Writing Scaffolds page.