October 29

‘Percy Jackson And The Lightning Thief’ by Rick Riordan

Meet Percy Jackson. From a normal human’s perspective, he would look like a normal troubled twelve-year-old boy. But really he is our last hope to save the earth from the grasps of the two biggest gods going to battle. Does this sound like a book that would cast a spell on you to keep reading through the night? Then Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief is the perfect book for you!

There is a war about to happen. The two gods, Hades and Aries, are about to battle one of the most devastating battles ever. Percy Jackson thinks he is a normal teenage 12-year-old boy living in a normal world in New York City, that is until he finds out he is the son of Poseidon, and the only safe place in the world is at Half Blood Camp. There he is summoned to go on a quest with Grover, (a half horse, half boy) and Annabeth (a newly met girl) to try and find Aries’ lightning bolt and safely return it to him so Percy will get his Mother back. Whilst this is happening, monsters are trying to kill them, as Hades wants the war to go on. The main characters in the story are Percy, Grover and Annabeth.

I really enjoyed reading the book, ‘Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief’ because it is a story about a twelve year old that has dyslexia, ADHD, and he thinks he has a bad life, like most real teenagers in the world. But then Percy gets told that all these bad things were because he is a demi-god! And he realises that he is on top of the wanted list by the god Hades (The god of the underworld). The reason I like this book so much is because it is about friendships and family, with a lot of action to entertain, and educates you about the Greek Gods and their powers and their sons and daughters. Rick Riordan constantly kept me glued to this book, chapter after chapter, with the constant action, mystery and bravery. With easy to imagine scenes, it’s a great action packed thriller with an amazing storyline,. This could easily be in contention for my best read this year!

I recommend this book to boys from teen to young adults, aged between 12-15 who are interested in Mythological Fantasy and Fiction books which are action packed, thrilling, entertaining and mysterious novels. This book is an excellent read. I rate ‘Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief’ 4 out of 5 stars. Sam, Year 9

———————————————–

I really enjoyed the book , “Percy Jackson and the Lighting Thief”. It is a very adventurous book and is very exhilarating throughout the entire book. There are a lot of twists and turns and it made me want to keep reading until I read the book from cover to cover.
This book is about a boy who has dyslexia. He thought his life was miserable, but he had a special ability that gets explained in the book. Later on in the book his mother gets abducted by Hades (God of the Underworld) so then Percy goes on a quest with his mates Grover and Annabel to rescue his mother and return the Lighting Bolt that has been stolen by one of the characters in the book.
This book has made me want to read the whole Percy Jackson Series and more books of any genre.

I recommend this book to teens and young adults between the ages of 11 – 20 who are interested in adventurous action-packed fantasy. This is one of my favourite books and I hope to enjoy the other books in the series as much as I did this one. This book is honestly a great book to read especially if it’s a rainy day outside and there is nothing to do. By reading this great book it will make you want to wish every day was a rainy day. I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars.

Josh, Year 9

—————————————————-

Percy Jackson. A boy who went from being a troubled twelve year old boy to being one of the greatest demi-gods of all time! Percy Jackson is a boy who has trouble staying out of mischief because most of the time, mischief finds him! But as he soon discovers he is a son of a Greek god, he is sent out with two friends and begins a quest that will decide the world’s fate.

The book “Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief” is full of action and adventure, and will have you holding your breathe waiting to see what will happen next to the trio. If you want a book that will keep you up all night until you have finished reading, then this is the book for you!

This book is about a dyslexic boy named Percy, who has trouble with school studies, making friends and just trying to fit in like he wishes he could. But luckily for Percy he is about to have his life completely changed. He discovers he is a demi-god and son of Poseidon and about to join a war between the Gods of Greece, and the only safe place is a camp for demi-gods like Percy. Percy discovers that the war is about how the main lighting bolt (carried by Zeus), has been stolen! Percy is teamed up with his best friend Grover and a girl named Annabeth to help find the missing bolt and end this catastrophe once and for all!

I recommend this book to boys from the age of 12-18, who love adventure, mystery, action and overall fantasy and fiction books. I loved this book and can’t wait to read the other books in the series as it was a great read. I give this book a rating of 4 out of 5 stars and hope you love the book as much as I did. Nathan, Year 9

Tags: , , , ,

Posted October 29, 2012 by marjk in category Student Reviews