November 10

‘BEFORE I DIE’ by Jenny Downham

Before_I_dieWhat would it be like to be sixteen and living with cancer?

Tessa Scott knows as she has been living with cancer for four years, going through chemotherapy and fighting back against hospital visits but she has now decided to stop the chemo and the doctors don’t give her long to live. Tessa and her best friend Zoe come up with a list of things Tessa wants to do before she dies. Some are very risky and some are ‘have to do’ things but Tessa will go through anything to get this list done. On the list there are the things that most teenagers are curious about doing. Zoe, Tessa’s best friend, is alongside her, doing the list with her. Number one is sex.

Tessa’s relationship with her father, brother, mother, her best friend and new boyfriend are all becoming precious as the weeks start closing in on her as time slowly runs out.

As always there will be struggles, meltdowns, tantrums and of course love is going find its way. I really enjoyed reading this book although it was a bit slow in some parts of the book because it kept you wanting to read more. I would recommend this story for (13-17) year old girls.

Aimee, Year 9

Tags: , , , ,

Posted November 10, 2014 by marjk in category Love stories, Realistic fiction, Student Reviews