November 14

‘Roxy’s Baby’ by Catherine Macphail

Roxy's_baby“Roxy was shaking with fear. She drew in a deep breath. She would not let her fear take over. She couldn’t. She had too much to lose. She had to be strong. To be brave. For once in her life she needed to think of someone other than herself.”

Much of the story of ‘Roxy’s baby’ is set in London, in a little house a drive away but in the middle of nowhere.

Roxy is a 14 year old that has had too much fun at a party and is afraid to tell her mother about her pregnancy. She turns to the Dyces who take in girls just like her, girls who are pregnant and have nowhere to go. What could possibly be bad about them? Roxy finds them suspicious. No newspapers or contact with the outside world, no TV except for movies, no visits from former housemates and no babies. In the house she makes best friends with a fellow future mother Anne-Marie, who thinks of the Dyces as saints. This makes Roxy dismiss her concerns for a while, but deep down she knows that the Dyces are definitely not how they seem to be.

The storyline of this book grasped me from the very beginning. It jumps straight into the action and then traces back to where it all began. I believe this is one of the best ways of starting off a book. As well as this, the storyline is very interesting. It’s suspenseful and shows many different common attitudes of teenagers. The scariest part of it is the fact that it is based on a true story. It is very unbelievable and no one could ever imagine of the cruelty shown by the Dyces.

I recommend this story for girls or women, as it is a cruel story about a girl that I believe boys would just not enjoy. Girls and women can partially relate to how Roxy has trouble telling her parents about her pregnancy; they might sometimes even run away and not having anywhere to go. It would suit girls, of 13- 14 years as a novel or for a quick, exciting read for a lady of older age.

Erin T, Year 9

……

“Roxy could hear her heart beating in her ears. The floorboards creaked and doors slammed below her. She could hear the angry death threats from the demons that ran the Dragon House.”

If you love reading books with bone chilling thrills balanced with heroism and love, then ‘Roxy’s Baby’ is just for you.

Roxy is a wild 14 year old who never listens to her parents. When Roxy falls pregnant, she runs away thinking her family doesn’t love her anymore. She runs to London where she finds a care home for girls in her position but she is turned away as she is under aged. She meets a mysterious couple in a café who claim that they are in a business that helps girls and their unborn children. Roxy observes them as nice but are they really? The couple takes Roxy to a mansion outback called the Dragon House where Roxy uncovers horrifying secrets. Read ‘Roxy’s Baby’ and find out.

I thought this book was exciting, thrilling and relatable to teenage struggles. I rate this book 4/5. I recommend this book to 14-18 year old teenagers.

Victoria, Year 9

……

-Roxy’s Baby – Catherine McPhail

“Go home. I’m telling you. That’s all I’m going to say. More than my life’s worth to even say that.”

Roxy is an immature fifteen year old whose relationship with her parents is strained because of her constant defiance. One party, one kiss and more is all it took for Roxy’s life to turn upside down. She soon finds herself out in the cold searching for a safe haven for herself along with her unborn child. Then arrives the Dyces, who sweep Roxy away to a place for girls like her, away from the searching eyes of the police and the public. The Dyces are accommodating and kind, providing all the girls with whatever they require. Roxy soon meets Anne Marie and a close friendship forms, the girls relying on each other to get through the struggles of pregnancy. The days are carefree and joyful, but is it all too good to be true?

When the truth is unleashed, for once in her life, Roxy will have to think about someone other then herself.

I thoroughly enjoyed ‘Roxy’s Baby’ because it was a heartrending story of trust, friendship and lies. The book is based on a true story; this element creates an even more suspense filled plot. The one fault that let this book down is the lack of educated language as the writing is too simple. This book could have been improved by more descriptive language however it was still a very enjoyable read. This was a suspense filled story that left me wanting to always know more, however the story finished with a terrific ending.

I would recommend this book to teenage girls between the ages 13-18 who enjoy reading about the themes of teen pregnancy as well as family troubles. If you enjoy books that you cannot put down, then ‘Roxy’s Baby’ should definitely be on your ‘To Read’ list. I would rate ‘Roxy’s Baby’ 3 out of 5 stars. Kian, Year 9

Tags: , ,

Posted November 14, 2014 by marjk in category Crime fiction, Horror stories, Realistic fiction, Student Reviews