June 12

‘The Adoration of Jenna Fox’ by Mary E. Pearson

“I used to be someone. Someone named Jenna Fox. That’s what they tell me. But I am more than a name. More they tell me. More than the facts and statistics they fill me with. More than the video clips they make me watch. More. But I’m not sure what.”

Does this engage you? Does this make you want to read more?

Then you should read ‘The Adoration of Jenna Fox’.

‘The Adoration of Jenna Fox’, is a science fiction story about a girl called Jenna who ends up in a terrible car crash and ends up in a coma for a year. When she awakes she doesn’t remember who she is.

This book is really good. I liked this book because you discover who Jenna Fox is. I recommend this book for people who like to find out who the characters are.

Alyssa R, Yr 8.

…..

‘I used to be someone. Someone named Jenna Fox. That’s what they tell me. But I am more than a name. …More. But I’m not sure what.’

Award winning young adult novel, The Adoration of Jenna Fox, is written by the talented Mary. E. Pearson. This captivating novel, based on a fictional 17-year-old, is a page-turning futuristic masterpiece.  Its combination of science fiction, medical mystery and family determination also raises many moral and ethical questions.

In short, the plot is based on how far parents will go to save their child, and the lengths a child will go to become their own person. With that said, have they both gone too far? The novel is set in the not-too distant future America, where biotechnical advances in medicine have made synthetic body parts possible, and seventeen-year-old Jenna, who is suffering from loss of memory due to an accident, must learn to regain her memory. Over the course of time, she begins to remember things, but her thoughts don’t fit in with what her parents are telling her. Although Jenna Fox is clearly adored by her family and grandmother, is their adoration too much? As Jenna grows stronger, her determination grows with her, and the storyline takes the reader on an intriguing journey.

The main theme of The Adoration of Jenna Fox is an individual’s questioning of one’s self.  In this case, Jenna is questioning if she is even considered human. This is because Jenna has been recreated with biotechnology. For instance, her memories are converted into a biological backup computer and then loaded into her body. Of course, when Jenna realises this is happening, she begins to question if she is even a human being. This theme certainly applies to teenager readers because adolescents are often self-conscious and regularly question themselves and the world around them.

Finally, the book concludes with an epilogue which it can be said raises as many questions as it answers. All in all, Mary E. Person’s intriguing young adult Science Fiction novel is an enjoyable read, suited in particular to those fascinated by medical mysteries and bio-ethics.  The Adoration of Jenna Fox certainly deserves a five-star rating.

Eloise O., Year 8

Tags: ,

Posted June 12, 2017 by marjk in category Student Reviews