November 1

‘Chained’ by Lynne Kelly

CHAINED    ‘When Nandita turns over in the water, the rattle of the chain snaps me out of my daydream, and I remember where we are. Not in a jungle home, or any home at all.’

Meet Hastin, a 10-year-old boy with a big heart who never loses his ability to love and care; Timir, a bad tempered, stubborn man, who wishes to obtain his former glory; Ne-min, a warm-hearted old man who is not only very factual and caring but also has much experience and advice for people; Sharad, a bad spirited, tough trainer who has been affected by some bad experiences. Then there’s Nandita, a playful, loving but sensitive elephant.     

Ten-year-old Hastin’s little sister has fallen ill, with the family unable to afford her treatment at the hospital, leaving Hastin no choice but to earn money for his family by leaving his home in the Indian Desert to work as an elephant keeper in a faraway jungle. After a little time working at Timir’s circus, Hastin finds it all to be nothing like he was promised, so he plans to escape. But with Nandita’s shackles and a locked gate, how will he ever get out?

I liked this story because it’s such a beautifully written story that really draws you into the emotion that is being depicted. Lynne Kelly has not only got you to feel the emotions of the story itself but also engages you to feel what the characters would be feeling and the journey that they are experiencing.

I would recommend this book for both children and young adults of any gender, specifically over the age of 10. If you are into heart and mind books that portray such an emotional story, then this is the book for you!

Bronte, Year 9

——————————————————-

“I’m going to get you out of here.”

Chained was a great book. It is a beautiful story about a young boy and an elephant. Although I did not enjoy reading this book it did have a great story line. It made me scared, happy, and mad and at times I almost cried. This book really sends your emotions wild. I would definitely recommend it.

I was scared that the sister would die at first, then for his mother when he visited her and saw how she was living and the bruises on her. I really thought Timir was going to be a good character at first in the book but he was the complete opposite; he was an evil greedy man. Ne Min had a really sweet story about where his love of elephants came from and how he lost her and it haunted him forever. It was great that he was there for Hastin since he was expected to do so much and he was only ten years old! It was so beautiful how Nandita protects Hastin and how he returns the favor.

This book shows a lot of love and care. An example of this is how Hastin and his mum would both be abused whether it was verbal or physical just to get a little money so they could pay for the hospital care for the sister.

This book is quite interesting because at the start of each chapter it has some facts about elephants.

This book had a lot of thought and research put in to it. Although the story wasn’t actually true, things like this do happen in the world and it is quite sad and doesn’t always have a happy ending. So, before writing the book Lynne Kelly did quite a bit of research and found some interesting things about elephants. An example is that the whole herd, not just the mother, helps to take care of the new calf. Also, elephants are very protective and will surround the calves if they sense danger nearby.

In conclusion, the book Chained was a sweet book. It was an amazing story about Hastin and Nandita that together they are strong. This story is a great book if have a passion to read. This is an emotion-triggering story and I would recommend that all book readers read this.

Ebony, Year 9

——————————————————

‘When Nandita turns over in the water, the rattle of the chain snaps me out of my daydream, and I remember where we are. Not in a jungle home, or any home at all.’

When he was working to keep his family alive, Hastin had no one, no one except Nandita. In the poor provinces of the Indian desert Hastin has been through more than any 10-year-old boy ever should. His family is struggling to survive in these hard times and his sister has fallen deathly ill. So he makes the decision to work in a far away jungle, and has to say goodbye to everything he’s ever known. He starts working as an elephant keeper, and meets many new people, but soon finds this job is not what he thought. He plans to run away, but he finds he loves his elephant too much to let her go. This is a story of a young boy who has to grow up very fast, and throughout all this he realizes that love is the most important thing in the world.
I liked the way this story was written. It was beautifully narrated and the story was enticing and touching. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes emotional but adventures stories. Anyone over the age of 10 who enjoys heart and mind books will love this beautiful story. 
Lili M, Year 9

————————————————————–

What action would you take if your little sister was critically ill? This book introduces a poor family of three: Pavarti, a widowed mother and her children Hastin and Chanda. This book’s focus is on a family as it struggles to survive in a desert in India, living of the bare essentials needed to survive in this harsh and isolated environment.

After a major flood the youngest in the family, Chanda, fall critically ill and is raced to a nearby hospital in a main city. To pay for the expensive treatment her mother is forced to work for a bitter and violent man who pays for their hospital bills in exchange for her service.

Hastin can’t stand to sit by alone while his mother takes action working as a slave, sacrificing her own freedom, so he decides to try and find his own work to relive Pavarti from her misery. At a local marketplace Hastin locates an employer looking for an elephant trainer. This might become Hastin’s only chance to save his mother but will he have the courage to proceed? After all, he’s only 10.

This is a story of courage, honor, sacrifice and a love that binds a family together, after all we are still all one at heart. I thoroughly enjoyed the fast moving storyline in the book and the way it was written. I highly recommend this book to all teens who love to read. I would rate it 4/5.

Matthew, Year 9

Tags: , , , ,

Posted November 1, 2013 by marjk in category Adventure stories, Realistic fiction, Student Reviews